Sign in to follow this  
Danum99

Baan Khanita - Sukhumvit 43

I had wanted to visit on a number of occasions but had to put it off due to my limited number of days here. But this time I forced myself to make the effort. This was a half an hour walk from my hotel and I arrived at 12nn. Tak, the waitress greeted me and showed my table. I was the first one in. I ordered the Tom yum goong, pomelo salad, river prawns in garlic and pepper and a mango sticky rice with a pineapple frost. In the next 5 minutes I was served with the most excellent Mieng Kham I have ever tasted. This was complimentary. And I could not get enough of it. While still enjoying this, my pomelo salad arrived, followed closely by the Tom yum. I reluctantly pushed the meing kham away (it was almost finished anyway). The pomelo salad is typical Thai dish - salty, sour, sweet and held with a good dose of chilli. And there were slivers of chicken meat in-between. The tom yum goong was delightfully sour and delicious. But there was chink in the armor - the prawns were just short of mushy. In the midst of this the garlic pepper prawn arrived. 4 reasonably large prawns, fried in some kind of batter before the garlic and pepper was added in. Here the prawns was fresh. I informed the waitress who took the tom yum away and informed the captain who told her to change it or something. He brought a fresh dish in record time and said that this is fresh prawn. I refused the dish and told him that it should be that way from the onset. I decided to cancel the mango sticky rice. The captain brought the bill on request and pointed out that they did not charge the Tom yum. I said obviously. With nary an apology!! Service from Tak was excellent. The bill was 1318B. I would like to visit them again to try some other dishes.

I ate more than few times at their 23 Sukhumvit  location. A hop,  skip & jump from my usual Sukhumvit haunts.  If I wanted treat & impress colleagues or  friends to a spot, this was it.  One evening, the day before a Royal Family occasion(a birth celebration,  a birhday, something) , a Thai couple/colleagues and I  were seated in the garden while a Family celebration dinner was underway in the major room.  The older princess and two children from the group came over to our table, reducing my guests to a humbleness, then introducing me "Khun Dr. Bob." I didn't kneel but did perform an appropriate deep bow.

Baan Khanita-23  also had a tiny bar upfront that was a welcome, quite respite from the usual haunts.