SAGuy

S15 Hotel, Sukhumvit Soi 15

Nice report. I am not sure how the rest of your stay went... but I am sure that if you ever needed anything else from the hotel porter, he'd jump through hoops to make you happy.

I may be going overboard but on my first day of any trip at the hotel that I am staying at (LOS or elsewhere) - I typically introduce myself and tip porters, reception folks, security guards, maids and bartenders/waiters 2 to 3 times what I would normally tip. After the first day, I tip based on the service. This small gesture goes a long way with some folks - especially those that typically don't get tipped. Same sorta reason I'd buy/tip a mamasan or papasan. Anwyho, I've been helped when in a bad jam by these folks, received room upgrades at no cost, provided free drinks/food etc., received valuable intel/advice and made new friends. 

So don't worry too much about your 900 Baht, I am sure it went to good use.

Edited by mangatanga

13 hours ago, mangatanga said:

Nice report. I am not sure how the rest of your stay went... but I am sure that if you ever needed anything else from the hotel porter, he'd jump through hoops to make you happy.

I may be going overboard but on my first day of any trip at the hotel that I am staying at (LOS or elsewhere) - I typically introduce myself and tip porters, reception folks, security guards, maids and bartenders/waiters 2 to 3 times what I would normally tip. After the first day, I tip based on the service. This small gesture goes a long way with some folks - especially those that typically don't get tipped. Same sorta reason I'd buy/tip a mamasan or papasan. Anwyho, I've been helped when in a bad jam by these folks, received room upgrades at no cost, provided free drinks/food etc., received valuable intel/advice and made new friends. 

So don't worry too much about your 900 Baht, I am sure it went to good use.

Thanks for the response Manga. 

No I've learnt over the years never to sweat the small stuff.

Regarding tipping, yes I do tip for good service etc. I learnt over the years always to look after the chamber maids, who often get overlooked. More often than not, my room sometimes resembles a crime scene after a 'busy' night and so its the least that can be done! The chamber maids will often reciprocate to make your stay more comfortable. (Extra fruit and water etc.)

In the bars, its more of a fine line. You don't want to be thought of as a mug, or an easy mark, but on the other hand, a few extra drinks here and there to mamasans or friends etc. can also make for more fun in an evening. The objective is not to minimise costs, but rather maximise the fun and overall experience. Everyone is different, but that's my outlook on the LOS.

Cheers

SAG

P.S. I saw a LB posting on the board with a similar name - mango tango. You should've copyrighted your screen name. LOL.

On 2/16/2019 at 3:03 PM, hkaus72 said:

Hahahah I had something similar a few months ago at Radisson Blu. I was waiting for a guest to arrive and I'd been fcking around with notes in my pocket and then placed the payment in the bedside table for later. I'd intended to get some extra towels and took B100 out of my wallet and shoved that in my pocket as a tip for the cleaning lady. Then I locked away all my valuables in the room safe. Anyway, I asked for the towels, minute or so later there's a knock at the door, I accept the towels, I then pass the cleaning lady the folded up tip. Her eyes go as wide as dinner plates, which I thought was weird, but just shrugged it off. I had a hard cock due to arrive soon, so had other things on my mind. Guest arrives, deed done, make payment, guest leaves.

I'm standing there looking at the tv, slip my hand in my shorts pocket, pull out my B100 tip for the cleaning lady. I'm very confused at this point, "Why do I still have B100 in my pocket?", I say to myself.

Go to the safe, grab my wallet and quickly realised I'd palmed her B1,000........and immediately her surprised face popped into my head. I had a good chuckle about it, what can you do? Nothing, just learn from you rsilly error. 

She was obviously extremely grateful for the large tip, as when I came back to my room after lunch the following day I discovered that she'd  left me 14 bottles of water!!
Again lots of chuckles. 

I'm glad to see that its not just me and that was a funny story.

In the end its just USD 30, so its not worth sweating over and I bet the maid told her family all about the very generous hi so farang that night, so its great that you made her day!

Thanks for the story, it was a great one to chuckle over, as I could see myself doing exactly the same thing!

Cheers

SAG