flipflops

Cathay Pacific seat options

I usually fly Asiana to the USA and mostly because my travel agent could get exit row and bulkhead seats free. That is no longer the case. So I'm considering Cathay Pacific in which I'll have to pay extra for the seats but the airfare on this trip is super cheap. My question is: Does anyone have experience purchasing exit row or bulkhead seats when purchasing 'supersaver' seats? see attached fare listing.

I like the Asiana route and times plus Incheon has remodeled the free international travelers lounge recently ...but saving a few $100 bucks might be worth it.

As the ladyboys say: Never know never try. hahahaha j/k

Screenshot from 2018-08-02 11-11-29.png

Edited by flipflops

If the question is about what seats are available for selection, on Cathay's website you can run a dummy booking and choose seats on the next screen after putting in a bogus name and contact info of passenger. 

Like Dav says, you may want to look at premium economy. I flew their premium economy a couple of years ago Tokyo-Hong Kong. The seats are fairly similar to what is found on their regional business class.  Premium economy 1st pic, business class 2nd pic.

CathayPremiumEconSeat.jpg

regional business class.jpg

While Cathay is my favourite overall airline, it has to be said it is not because of the legroom in economy. Its terrible. Seat comfortable but space is poor. Great if your small but not ideal for western frame.  No idea though about Asiana as comparison as never flown them.

Cathay scores highly for me in air crew, cabin crew, aircraft, premium classes. Economy doesn't make the grade.

Thanks for the input.

I had read that Cathay went from 9 across to 10 across the cabin in economy. I might check out seatguru to compare seats. I'm pretty small and I had pretty much resigned myself to paying extra for exit row / bulhead seats on either airline.

I flew Cathay once about 4 years ago and it was OK. The segment from Asia to the USA is 2 hours longer on Cathay. 13 plus hours if I remember right. Asiana is 11 plus.

$456 USD compared to Asiana $760 caught my eye. That is base fare plus premium seats.

Some stupid cheap Qatar fares at moment. Might be worth pricing Chiang mai -usa and see what it throws up. I get u tapao ads on newspaper sites and fares are low (I once searched utapoa-lhr hence the ads).

Pricing on Qatar is acceptable but the route adds about 10 hours of travel time. Qatar looks great for UK / Euro flyers though.

I checked seatguru.com and it lists economy seats on Asiana A380-800 at 18.9 inches. The Cathay Pacific 777-300ER is 18.5. However, the kicker is this seat map shows Cathay Pacific in the 9 across and not the new 10 across configuration. Makes you wonder what the seat width is @ 10 across.

58 minutes ago, flipflops said:

Pricing on Qatar is acceptable but the route adds about 10 hours of travel time. Qatar looks great for UK / Euro flyers though.

I checked seatguru.com and it lists economy seats on Asiana A380-800 at 18.9 inches. The Cathay Pacific 777-300ER is 18.5. However, the kicker is this seat map shows Cathay Pacific in the 9 across and not the new 10 across configuration. Makes you wonder what the seat width is @ 10 across.

Search on youtube for cathay pacific 10 across seats. Bound to be some reviews.

Thanks mardhi ... I just took a look on YouTube. Seats were at 17.2 inches on one video. I'm small but the person next to me might be 'overflowing' ... and not in a good way.

I'll probably pony up the extra $300+ and stick with Asiana. Good service. A380 airplane, excellent service in economy and a fantastic free lounge in Seoul.