Streetwalker2

Mexican restaurant at old Paradise location- Nana

Met an Australian lady outside, about 3 weeks ago, as she was giving instructions to the workmen, and she said that they were opening 28th Nov.

The menu was on display outside. Looks like they have spent a great deal of money on the fixtures and fittings.

Not open yet .... I'm waiting to try the Tequila selection when it opens.

Edit: Iceberg got a tour from the owner though and said it looked great and a lot of money was put into the place.

Edited by Beachlife

Not open yet ....

When I walked past last month it looked very swanky and a lot bigger than Paradise was. Have they also annexed part of the Rajah lobby?

P1020593.JPG

When I walked past last month it looked very swanky and a lot bigger than Paradise was. Have they also annexed part of the Rajah lobby?

I'm not sure about them getting any of the lobby, but I heard from a very reputable source that they took some of Annie's Soapy. Apparently it was a storage room that was never used, and imho the space that they purchased from Annie's was gotten for a song.

They must have run into a few problems since their opening date was advertised as October 31st. I walked past a few time's in October and saw them working on masonry inside and noticed the artist rendition on the barrier outside. I thought there was no way they would make it by the end of month for their opening.

IMG_9776.JPG

IMG_9777.JPG

IMG_9778.JPG

IMG_9779.JPG

IMG_9781.JPG

Both their website:http://http://themexicanbkk.com/ and their FB page: https://www.facebook.com/TheMexicanBKK/?fref=ts say nothing about opening date.

For those who may not have known where Paradise club was located here is a map of the area.

Map soi 4.jpg

It's open now. Johnny the Paradise Club owner posted on his visit. A couple of people asked how it was.

" It's a must boys - Chili beer is a bad boy .
Quesadillas , tostadas and a delicious shrimp Diablo ."

Yep, was there a couple of nights ago.

Standard first opening and new staff issues that I am sure will be ironed out but really good food. Had the soft tacos and while you will not get over full from them they were spot on. Excellent salsa!

Was never a fan of the automatic service charge as I have always believed that a tip should be a reflection of service and food quality. A mandatory 10% service charge always prevents me from tipping more should I find everything to be good.

Best of luck to them though, always nice to have another decent eatery.

MH21

Food prices look at high end of the scale for Mexican food so Hopefully should be good. Just out of interest how do drink prices look? No mention on the website from what I could see.

There is a drink menu - lots of tequila specials and Margaritas and Corona beer.

Will try to photo drink card next time.

If you like real Mexican food it is worth the extra price.

Same is you want Premium US steak then you pay more - El Gaucho is a good example but the food is great.

Everyone has different budgets.

Thanks for that drink list Youngone. I think I'll wait a few weeks for things to settle in and then head over for some food especially now that Sunrise Taco's is no more at Soi 10.

Dont think this place is comparable with the nearby cheap joints.

Regardless of prices offers a nice alternative in the Soi 4 area, with no need to walk to Soi 11 or so.

Bad or good it is for us, I think it contributes to a new look of Soi 4, albeit being sideways. Let's say less mongering. Just as hooters does.

I don't think they will be patronised by the orphanes of paradise and golden bar.

Needs to attract customers and the location is not much ideal to catch passer byes, other than majestic grande guests or people just off Annie's.

I believe they have to invest in marketing

Good excuse for BM's to escape partners/travelling companions on a trip - "I'm just popping out for Mexican food" and the joys of soi 4!

Very true. I've never yet met a Thai who likes Mexican and my missus ranks it about as low as Indian food for choice of places we go to eat together. It could well be the perfect excuse for some.

Dont think this place is comparable with the nearby cheap joints.

Regardless of prices offers a nice alternative in the Soi 4 area, with no need to walk to Soi 11 or so.

Bad or good it is for us, I think it contributes to a new look of Soi 4, albeit being sideways. Let's say less mongering. Just as hooters does.

I don't think they will be patronised by the orphanes of paradise and golden bar.

Needs to attract customers and the location is not much ideal to catch passer byes, other than majestic grande guests or people just off Annie's.

I believe they have to invest in marketing

If this had been plonked onto Thonglor or Langsuan (Ploenchit) it would be the perfect location surrounded by other upmarket restaurants, coffee shops etc.

Judging by how long the fit-out took, they presumably spent serious time and money getting the look exactly right for their plans. That cost plus the very high rent will mean they have to sell a lot of booze (rather than just food) to have any chance of getting a return of that investment. Time will tell if it works. Personally I'd have put a simple steakhouse there selling 500b Australian beef Fillets and pretty much replicating what the Beefeater has done in Pattaya. Packed out every night. Excellent quality at very reasonable prices and appealing to broadest spectrum of visitors incl. almost all of those who frequent Soi 4.

If the food is decent, I'm going to love having this place right outside the door of my hotel (Majestic Grande). I used to hit Sunrise tacos on occasion, but the food there, while not horrible, was a pale imitation of real Mexican.

Still waiting for a Spanish or Mexican restaurant in Bangkok that serves Menudo/Callos a la Madrileña/Mondongo soup/stew

(aka tripe). That's a simple test on authenticity.

True. Every Mexican restaurant where I live serves these dishes, but I can imagine they'd go over like a lead balloon in BKK with the tourist crowd. Don't hold your breath... :)

Still waiting for a Spanish or Mexican restaurant in Bangkok that serves Menudo/Callos a la Madrileña/Mondongo soup/stew

(aka tripe). That's a simple test on authenticity.

I live in Los Angeles & I know & love me some authentic Mexican food, but Menudo? I don't care how hung over I am. I won't eat that crap no matter what. It's quite literally slop!!!!

I tried that place yesterday. i was disappointed actually.

I ordered Chili Con Carne according to their menu it should be with beef.. I got a tiny bowl with 2 small pieces of beef.....didn1t taste good as i use to eat it in many other countries.

Overpricy place !!!

You got to add 10% service + 7 % vat to all the prices you see in the menu

My chili costed 400 + + . I think its expensive for a tiny portion in BKK.

chili con carne should usually be a generous portion.

If it fails To be so, it is a bad sign....

Hookers, The mexican... All high priced venues for The Área.

Two options: The Área Will change into high level Or those two Places Will fail miserably

I along with youngone and shyguy ate here last night. I had beef fajitas which used very good sirloin. Lots of peppers and onions with sprinkling of shredded cheese. I enjoyed it. It's by no means cheap and not sure I'd consider it good value for money.

I'd go again but am hardly a big Texmex fan so probably not their target market. I'm sure American's would have a different take on the place. We each had main course and shared plate of Nachos Grande. Bill came to 1000 baht head Including drink.