Streetwalker2

Mexican restaurant at old Paradise location- Nana

I along with youngone and shyguy ate here last night. I had beef fajitas which used very good sirloin. Lots of peppers and onions with sprinkling of shredded cheese. I enjoyed it. It's by no means cheap and not sure I'd consider it good value for money.

I'm not a huge fan of Mexican food and don't know much about it, but I found the portions a bit small as well for the price charged. The drink prices were out of sync though, 410 Baht for a Bloody Mary and 270 Baht for a rum & coke is plain expensive. Those are prices I'd expect to pay in Central London but not in Bangkok's soi 4 area.

Mardhi's beef fajita's

P1020636.JPG

Shyguyuk's pulled pork taco's

P1020637.JPG

My chicken burrito

P1020633.JPG

The last place I had a good Mexican meal was a tiny place sharing the Subway Sandwich not far from the stairs going down from Prompong BTS opp the Emporium as you walk towards Asoke.

Can't remember the name as I only ate there once in May 2015.

Good sized portions and price was reasonable.

It looked like it was run by Phillippenes staff.

No fine dinning atmosphere though....its hole in the wall and sharing a Subway but the food was good.

Perhaps they've jumped in too early - the 'gentrification' of lower suk or soi 4 maybe a bit further away than they gambled. For now it'll be a case of how much loss can they bear - same with Hooters judging by the reviews.

places like this don't loose much but they just don't grow. This is a tourist area. they will keep getting customers. But only 1 time customers. the first time and never back, as myself......I have seen hooters every day these last 2 weeks and it looked busy every evening....its working....

Ummm i think their overheads would be pretty high personally . Without repeats they will fail .

places like this don't loose much but they just don't grow. This is a tourist area. they will keep getting customers. But only 1 time customers. the first time and never back, as myself......I have seen hooters every day these last 2 weeks and it looked busy every evening....its working....

hooters is in a by far better location between two.

Mexican doesnt benefit of the pass by Tourist. Who goes in that alley other than the majestic grande guests, the annie's soap Customer and those having chose non a couple of the other soi 2 Hotels?

Hooters has the privilege to cater for the "rail lurkers" (as long as they allow that type of customer, depending mainly on the revenue they generate), the occasional passer by heading further deep into Soi 4, the Tourists (single,couples, families) visiting that portion (and I mean that portion only) of Nana area like one visits a landmark mentioned in a guide. Those who wants to see nana, don't dare or can't admit to do so, lurking the scene, undecided whether passing under the "Nana Plaza" arch and enter the adult funfair.

Repeats? I don think so. The nana "residents", ie those capable of repeats, are not tuned to a place like hooters. It is a different range and either they will not be comfortable to spend time aside the vanilla tourist or these are not comfortable to rub shoulders with the punters.

Either hooters will fail or nana will turn into Silom, a soft core RLD. Some signs are already there with the added legitimate tourist around.

Will definately try this when I go back, I absolutely love mexican food! Last time I was in Bangkok we tried a place called Charlie-something, it was around soi 11 I believe. The food there was decent but nothing to write home about, hoping this one is better.

I am going to Mexico in April though so if all else fails, at least then I will get to eat as much good mexican food as I like :)

The food and drink menu is on their facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/1500219286936955/menu/?p_ref=pa

It pretty much looks like standard restaurant prices for soft drinks, beers and wine; cocktails however seem rather expensive. I'll definitely give the place a try later this month.

attachicon.gif1a.jpg

attachicon.gif1b.jpg

attachicon.gif1c.jpg

Thanks for the link Youngone, if their Facebook page is any indication then they are still up and running, and I'll definitely give them a try in October! I can only eat thai food so much without wanting a change, and the owner was so enthusiastic and friendly I hope he continues to do well! :)

I live in Los Angeles & I know & love me some authentic Mexican food, but Menudo? I don't care how hung over I am. I won't eat that crap no matter what. It's quite literally slop!!!!

Menudo is great for a hangover(I grew up in Arizona and loved it when I was younger, after a night on the booze)! Seriously, are you talking about "slop" in thailand they eat fuckin' bugs fffs!55555

On 1/1/2016 at 2:06 AM, mikel said:

Perhaps they've jumped in too early - the 'gentrification' of lower suk or soi 4 maybe a bit further away than they gambled. For now it'll be a case of how much loss can they bear - same with Hooters judging by the reviews.

The owner, a really nice guy from Texas in his early 60s, said they broke even the first year already. Highlighted the quality of the food and the food ingredients and that there weren't any other authentic tex-mex restaurants around.

They must have lots of fixed / overhead costs but seemingly they are still profitable even at way less than 50% capacity utilization rate, even on weekends. Said that regular / returning guests would make up lion share of his business, compensating for not so many "typical" soi 4 tourists. The US embassy isn't that far away either (don't know if they are also doing deliveries there) and they are surrounded by 10 hotels. The Hilton DoubleTree Ploenchit (ex Majestic Grande) down the alley looks almost finished and should open in Q2 / 2019. Also, the Marriott, where many Americans stay, is also basically just around the corner. Americans just love Tex-Mex!

They have pool billiard tables at the Mexican, always popular in Bangkok.

Staff is nice and look after their guests.

The ambiance in general and the Mexican themed furnishings are also good IMO.

Didn't see (m)any Thai guests and not a single Thai lb anyway. Tex-mex is probably really not such a popular food with Thais - as mardhi already pointed out.

Didn't try much food there but the bar is well stocked and their spirits I think are the real deal and they don't cheat with quantity either. As Youngone already said, it ain't cheap though...

Anyway, I would give it a shot when you're craving for something authentic US style in Texmexkok.

Edited by Thanks

42 minutes ago, Thanks said:

The owner, a really nice guy from Texas in his early 60s, said they broke even the first year already. Highlighted the quality of the food and the food ingredients and that there weren't any other authentic tex-mex restaurants around.

They must have lots of fixed / overhead costs but seemingly they are still profitable even at way less than 50% capacity utilization rate, even on weekends. Said that regular / returning guests would make up lion share of his business, compensating for not so many "typical" soi 4 tourists. The US embassy isn't that far away either (don't know if they are also doing deliveries there) and they are surrounded by 10 hotels. The Hilton DoubleTree Ploenchit (ex Majestic Grande) down the alley looks almost finished and should open in Q2 / 2019. Also, the Marriott, where many Americans stay, is also basically just around the corner. Americans just love Tex-Mex!

Didn't try much food there but the bar is well stocked and their spirits I think are the real deal and they don't cheat with quantity either. As Youngone and mardhi said, it ain't cheap though...

Anyway, I would give it a shot when you're craving for something authentic US style in Texmexkok.

I walked past the location one afternoon maybe 2 months ago after stop at Villa supermarket. I was surprised they are still going.  Have to say though that wooden entrance door is awesome. Need to find wood shop able to make similar for my house.

Also went  past it several times a day a month ago,  to and from my hotel.  Never ever many people in there. But they blared some great 80s tunes on their outdoor speakers.  I love Mex, Tex-Mex etc, but can get really authentic eats here in states - when i am flying 9,000 miles to LOS  its all Thai street food for this hombre. 

1 hour ago, Thanks said:

Didn't see (m)any Thai guests and not a single Thai lb anyway. Tex-mex is probably really not such a popular food with Thais - as mardhi already pointed out.

They hate it, as anybody who has taken an LB to Charley Brown's or The Mexican can tell you. There is a particular aversion to corn tortillas, one of the staples of the cuisine. 

Didn't try much food there but the bar is well stocked and their spirits I think are the real deal and they don't cheat with quantity either. As Youngone already said, it ain't cheap though...
Mmmh well, anything not strictly related to Thai is never really popular witg Thais. Usually if you go to a non Thai restaurant and you see Thais is because that place also serves Thai food. There's an Italian restaurant in Isaan where they had to hire a somtan cooker. Thainess ;)

Inviato dal mio VKY-L29 utilizzando Tapatalk

Thanks everyone!

Well, guess it's better to go to the Mexican with farang only, not with Thai LBs. Which leads me to my next thought: Have you ever had any negative experience with bringing a lb to a restaurant in lower Suk? Any places that don't allow them in and that we should avoid? I don't mean when they are wearing sl.. ahem, work wear but 'normal' street clothes.

23 hours ago, oliver17 said:

They hate it, as anybody who has taken an LB to Charley Brown's or The Mexican can tell you. There is a particular aversion to corn tortillas, one of the staples of the cuisine. 

Not as much as they have eating Indian food!

I ate here on my last trip, was quite late at night around 10 i was the  only customer,  i just didn't want Thai that night and it hit the spot food was good , i only had a  main and a Beer and think it was about 800 Bhat 

@mespicy@mardhi

A nice spot but seems they don't serve women at The Mexican restaurant:

IMG_20190220_080358.jpg

Image: billboard seen in front of the Mexican restaurant located in the alley between the Majestic Grande hotel (soon to be the DoubleTree Ploenchit) and Nana Soi 4, an almost women free zone...

Isn't it a tiny little bit discrimatory if they only serve men but not women?  What would feminists say if they heard that they don't serve women in there? And if you actually brought your own woman there, would she have to get the food and beverage from the kitchen herself as they don't serve women or how does it work in there? ;-)

What comes next: We don't serve the full enchilada here, you have to bring your own mole !

:Eating:

Sorry... just kidding of course... zzzzzzzzzz...

Thanks ;-)

Edited by Thanks