Sign in to follow this  
Rodrigo

Thailand has been downgraded by the FAA

What I want to stress is that whatever method used by the ICAO, the upper authority is the ICAO and the downgraded one is the Thai DCA. FAA and EASA are just subsidiaries of the ICAO in this story.

What I want to stress is that whatever method used by the ICAO, the upper authority is the ICAO and the downgraded one is the Thai DCA. FAA and EASA are just subsidiaries of the ICAO in this story.

Not actually correct in that FAA and EASA can penalise any country though ICAO has not.

Correct in this case that ICAO had significant safety concerns about Thailand.

FAA can ban any airline or aircraft registered in a particular country to the area administered by FAA though ICAO may find nothing wrong

The same for EASA.

The requirements of FAA and EASA are more stringent than that of ICAO

nok air nearly lands on hospital in mai sod airport(cow paddock) yesterday evening. thai visa has the story and judging from the readers submissions it doesnt have much in the way of the basic safety devices. makes me worry as i will be flying there in 2 months. dont know what is worse crashing or the thought of a bus ride.

Do you mean Mae Sot airport (Tak) ?

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/150530

After reading the above article, something's wrong in the explanations given about the incident. The pilot explained he had been confused by a farm smoke near the runway. I couldn't locate the hospital under construction, but whatever the explanation, the pilot is out of the safety standards one can expect from such a a professional aviator.

nok air nearly lands on hospital in mai sod airport(cow paddock) yesterday evening. thai visa has the story and judging from the readers submissions it doesnt have much in the way of the basic safety devices. makes me worry as i will be flying there in 2 months. dont know what is worse crashing or the thought of a bus ride.

You will be ok now for awhile now they have had a near miss . :)

Do you mean Mae Sot airport (Tak) ?

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/150530

After reading the above article, something's wrong in the explanations given about the incident. The pilot explained he had been confused by a farm smoke near the runway. I couldn't locate the hospital under construction, but whatever the explanation, the pilot is out of the safety standards one can expect from such a a professional aviator.

yes the spelling varies i have noticed from sod to sot.

BTW, thanks for the info. I have never flown with Nok Air, but after what I read in this press release, it's a definite ban for this company.

More information on that. The report in the quoted paper here is not correct.

It was a small rural airport with no instrument landing. Hence is was a visual approach. I'm presuming that there is no approach control here as well.

All these buildings would be not visual if there is so much smoke. The fact was that he was aligned to the runway and on his approach when he saw the building and pulled up.

It says more about Thai Civil Aviation Authority than Nok Air in this case.

Tak/Mae Sot has a VOR DME approach ending in in a circling maneuvre or direct visual landing. I can't imagine an airline company operating ATRs and B737s to choose a rural airport for regular flights.

Well if they have VOR/DME approach then its an instrument runway.

I checked with Thai Civil Aviation and the story as its printed in the papers are not true they said.

Many airports have regular flights into rural airports. Since they are licenced it should not be an issue.

Edited by dav662