Sign in to follow this  
davvvid

Airbnb or Hotel?

I am in the midst of trying to plan a 5 day trip to Bangkok in Jan 2015 and was just browsing some hotel prices on booking.com and thought I would give Airbnb a browse too.

Was wondering if anyone here has any experience with Airbnb in Bangkok and if yes, any recommendations on specific listings? Also compared to booking a regular hotel, are there any disadvantages of booking from Airbnb?

I am in the midst of trying to plan a 5 day trip to Bangkok in Jan 2015 and was just browsing some hotel prices on booking.com and thought I would give Airbnb a browse too.

Was wondering if anyone here has any experience with Airbnb in Bangkok and if yes, any recommendations on specific listings? Also compared to booking a regular hotel, are there any disadvantages of booking from Airbnb?

Good question Davvid , i also have been browsing airbnb listings in bkk . Some very nice looking pads i must say , but i would also like to hear from anyone who has some forst hand knowledge .

I checked this out before my last trip but was put off by the owners parents "would be around every day to check everything ok etc" Fuck that....

I checked this out before my last trip but was put off by the owners parents "would be around every day to check everything ok etc" Fuck that....

I think the whole 'guest friendly' thing is a bit more uncertain with Airbnb. I was looking at Airbnb out of interest and I see some listings are very clear that they don't want guys to bring back girls to the apartment even if they are renting out the entire apartment to you. I can understand why, given many of them are in condos where the residents probably don't want guys coming back at 2AM with a couple of LBs.

If you were planning on just using ST rooms (or a LBs room) then it's not an issue but I reckon you'd need to ask the owner about 'guests' if you plan to bring girls back.

At least with hotels you will usually know before hand what their policy is.

I tried a BNB place down by the river last year. The view was fantastic and that was all. Place was a total shit hole, dirty dim lighting, bathroon full of rubbish and the kitcken and few utensils where appaling. I had paid a fortnight in advance but just left the keys on the table next morning and told the owner I was off. Got a nice suite back in the Grand President and proceeded to have the normal great time.

Airbnb might be OK but I think its imperative that the place is inspected first. The one I had booked looked great in the photos and had a heap of good reviews. Maybe the reviewers live in different accomodation to me !! It truly wasnt even Guest House level. Live and learn. Hotels only for this boy.