Bangkok Ladyboys Forum
mik27

hotel safe

I read on a post somewhere that someones property went missing from an electronic safe in thier hotel room

wondering if this has happened to many

would you leave cash in a room safe?

I've heard stories about how some hotel staff can put a chemical substance on the keypad which leaves a thin film to show which numbers have been pressed. It is then a simple matter of punching the numbers in the correct order to open the safe. I get around that by punching in a code, then opening the safe, and then punching in another code composed of different numbers. Sorting through four numbers requires patience, sorting through eight means trying someone else's safe instead. Of course, I could be completely wrong about that but it eases my paranoia.

All mini safes have an over-ride manual key / keypad entry. Else, what would happen if the customer said, "I've forgotten my keycode", so there has to be an element of trust with the hotel you are at.

I've been goiing to LOS for 17 years and have never had any trouble (there is the kiss of death on that now :)).

I am one of these old fashioned folks who always take Travelleres Cheques, so the most I will have in cash in the safe is about 10,000 baht , the rest will be in cheques. So even if I was to lose the cash through some corrupt hotel manager stealing from the safe, it wont affect my holiday.

All mini safes have an over-ride manual key / keypad entry. Else, what would happen if the customer said, "I've forgotten my keycode", so there has to be an element of trust with the hotel you are at.

I've been goiing to LOS for 17 years and have never had any trouble (there is the kiss of death on that now :)).

I am one of these old fashioned folks who always take Travelleres Cheques, so the most I will have in cash in the safe is about 10,000 baht , the rest will be in cheques. So even if I was to lose the cash through some corrupt hotel manager stealing from the safe, it wont affect my holiday.

Same Same for TC and cash

I actually scrambled my own code at the Darwin last trip when I thought a LB had seen it and I was a bit "under the weather". Had to call the front desk. They came up with a key and unlocked it.. so be warned there are people that can get into it in a second if you didn't already know that. Luckily I have never had a problem.

Once left the safe completely open at August Suites, with the door closed, and nothing was gone when I got back. That maid got the biggest tip of her life the next day :).

The hotel always has a means of overriding the combination, in case number forgotten by guest or locked accidently. thefts from safes normally entail the loss of a few notes/travellers cheques etc: Something that guest may not realise or can be explained away. Best way to avoid this type of theft is to use a locked back inside the safe, and definitely in hotel safe deposit box. Something that is obvious if tampered with or forced open. Pac safe make really good still meshed lockable bags perfect for this. Its not that anything cant be opened with time and force, but its less likely to be done if the crime leaves a trace of being done. But I've never had a problem with room safe or lobby box, but know people who have or thought hold on i'm sure I had more notes than that !! Lock inside the locked then you will know for sure and will put people off who may try a bit of light fingers.

The hotel always has a means of overriding the combination, in case number forgotten by guest or locked accidently. thefts from safes normally entail the loss of a few notes/travellers cheques etc: Something that guest may not realise or can be explained away. Best way to avoid this type of theft is to use a locked back inside the safe, and definitely in hotel safe deposit box. Something that is obvious if tampered with or forced open. Pac safe make really good still meshed lockable bags perfect for this. Its not that anything cant be opened with time and force, but its less likely to be done if the crime leaves a trace of being done. But I've never had a problem with room safe or lobby box, but know people who have or thought hold on i'm sure I had more notes than that !! Lock inside the locked then you will know for sure and will put people off who may try a bit of light fingers.

That's a good idea where would I get one?

About three months ago i was staying at the Montri hotel in Chiang Mai. Made the mistake of going out and leaving the room safe open. I was out for about four hours and during that time the room maids had made up the room and could not have failed to see the open safe.

When i got back all the stuff i had in the safe was still there including 4,000GBP and a very expensive watch. Left a large tip for the maid for her honesty.

About three months ago i was staying at the Montri hotel in Chiang Mai. Made the mistake of going out and leaving the room safe open. I was out for about four hours and during that time the room maids had made up the room and could not have failed to see the open safe.

When i got back all the stuff i had in the safe was still there including 4,000GBP and a very expensive watch. Left a large tip for the maid for her honesty.

I had the exact same experience in August suites in Patts. 1000's of Baht, iphone, camera, jewelry, tickets etc and not a thing missing. I tipped those maids heavily and told the manager how pleased I was with their work every time I had the chance.

I like to think that *most* Thais are honest, and I try to help them *stay* honest by locking up my stuff.

In all my Thailand travels, I don’t think anything has been stolen from me, but I do try to keep an eye on things.

Some traveling companions haven’t been so lucky.

I been the beneficiary of Thai honesty more than once. I had a malfunction of my safe at the Marriot and it was a big deal to get the override. The security person was accompanied by the manager, all was logged in a book. I guess it depends on the hotel but I doubt these electronic overrides are that easy to come by otherwise we'd hear more verified stories.

I've never had a problem with an electronic safe, even when I left it open.

the "pacsafe" bags are a lot better investment to my way of thinking than the "milockie" ..i havent got either so i am not an authority ,,however after reading 100's of blogs/forums on this subject i feel its the correct assumption...the "milocke" attaches externally to the safe and isnt by any means unbreakable,,so i feel by putting an external lock on your safe is kind of like putting a sign on it saying " Dear Staff , I have some extremely valuable in this safe and i dont trust you at all." As a few have mentioned already ,i also have neglected to lock the safe before in Thailand and nothing has vanished(also left a big tip next morning + my usual smiley face of coins lol) THink the pacsafe is a much better idea and can be used in numerous scenarios not just in the motel room...And finally yes its easy for the hotel to open the safe but this knowledge is in the majority of cases only kept by a selected few at any hotel...Guy that had to open mine on after one big night ,had a little digital device that needs to be connected to unscramble the code ,,,hence if you dont have the device you cant get in,,,, the only dishonest thing i have encountered at a reputable hotel in Bkk many years ago was that apparently the guy at checking must have copied my credit card details,,as i dint use the card very often for anything , the bank rang and alerted me to the 3 attempts made on the account,,,hence they cancelled the card of course....

great advice about pacsafe. i see a 35l as in 35 litre. there is also a 25l. which one fits the hotel safe?

Hotel safes can vary in size. I tend to move around a bit hotel wise and found that my laptop fit in some but not all hotel safes.