wrangler

Tech Usage in Bangkok

I will be making my first trip to Bangkok in a couple of months. I have an iPhone and iPad. Will I need to make any modification for the devices to work? Are the hotels near Nana equipped with free wifi? What about phone charger? Many thanks.

I will be making my first trip to Bangkok in a couple of months. I have an iPhone and iPad. Will I need to make any modification for the devices to work? Are the hotels near Nana equipped with free wifi? What about phone charger? Many thanks.

They work just fine & yes many hotels offer free wifi . I now get a thai sim for my iphone with preferably 1gb plus of data available . Mostly use the free wifi but sometimes hotspot from iphone to ipad if its a bit slow . "True " offer some free wifi with there phone plans also .

I paid 300 baht for a True sim at a bts station (phaya thai I think). They set it up and it included 1.5g data which lasted me the week. As Rod said most hotels offer wi-fi. Check on agoda.Just realised it was AIS this trip.

Edited by mikel

Thai internet is still way behind the western world in reliability and speed, IMO. But yes, it's possible to get hooked up and works (most of the time). But the country badly needs an infrastructure upgrade. And it's very over priced for what they deliver, like DTAC: $18 a month for a 3G service that gets you a few gigabytles of data, and then drops down to EDGE data speeds (eg 200kb/sec) when you reach the limit. Pretty lame if need to do regular downloading of a gig every few days, which isn't a rare scenario.

-- signed "Grumpy Old IT Engineer"

Thai internet is still way behind the western world in reliability and speed, IMO. But yes, it's possible to get hooked up and works (most of the time). But the country badly needs an infrastructure upgrade. And it's very over priced for what they deliver, like DTAC: $18 a month for a 3G service that gets you a few gigabytles of data, and then drops down to EDGE data speeds (eg 200kb/sec) when you reach the limit. Pretty lame if need to do regular downloading of a gig every few days, which isn't a rare scenario.

-- signed "Grumpy Old IT Engineer"

You are lucky then ,, its cheaper in thai than australia and i get shit speed where i live so thailand is an upgrade for me 555