Sign in to follow this  
pikogpatter

Round trip in the North/NorthEast - any ideas?

Been to LOS for Buddha knows how many times but i have never done a round trip to the north and north of north east (have been to Isaan several times but only the Roi Et district, Yasothon and Mukdahan) and travelled by bus a lot af times – and in the back of a pick-up a few – can not be reccomended...

This time i am thinking about spending some of my stay travelling around by bus and/or train, and i would like to go from Bangkok and visit Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Nong Khai, Udon (Thani) Sakhon Nakon, Khon Kaen,, Roi Et (the city itself) and then back to Bangkok and possible to Pattaya)

Anyone here have tried to do such a roundtrip – and if so any ideas of how to do it (train or bus)?

Have read that you can buy a Visit Thailand Railpass valid for 20 days and valid for any train but is it worth the 1500 Baht – beeing told that trains are going at a very slow speed – or is it better to go by bus?

I prefer to travel during daytime so i am able to watch the landscape.

Travel by train is way more comfortable than bus and I don't think the travel time is that much different. If it is a long journey, you can't beat the train. Ask for 2nd class fan with a lower bunk. I always have a good night's sleep on the train. It's a great way to see the country.

Depending on when you plan to go checkout AirAsia they always have specials on flights from Bangkok to the North for as low as 600 baht sometimes

(around $20 US).

If your insistent on driving to see scenery I would either take the train or a private minivan. Avoid the public ones at all costs, they pack them so tight you can't breathe and every driver thinks he is trying out for F1.

I'd second the AirAsia specials for at least some of it. Last year they had a sale in Feb and I picked up five flights ranging from $18 to $27. At that price you can ditch one if your plans change.

This time i am thinking about spending some of my stay travelling around by bus and/or train, and i would like to go from Bangkok and visit Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Nong Khai, Udon (Thani) Sakhon Nakon, Khon Kaen,, Roi Et (the city itself) and then back to Bangkok and possible to Pattaya)

So what are good towns and cities in the North and Issan for ladyboys? And where do you find them? (bars, disco, street...?)

So what are good towns and cities in the North and Issan for ladyboys? And where do you find them? (bars, disco, street...?)

Actually i have no idea about that - maybe other BMs have some knowledge about where to find LB up north/Isaan?

My main purpose to go there is not to find LB (actually that is not a purpose at all). I want to go to the North and the cities mentioned to see a bit more of Thailand than i have seen before and growing old i dont know if i will get another chance... :rolleyes:

Anyway the LBs will wait for me :lol: in Bangkok and Pattaya