cascade09

Tap Water

Since my last post in this forum section seemed to bomb,I'll come up with something else in its place.But it actually is relevent.Is the tap water in nicer hotels drinkable or could one get sick?I never tried it other than to brush my teeth.Did see a notice on it being bad but that was in a cheap motel.Maybe it's best to just stick to buying bottled water from the convenience store.

Since my last post in this forum section seemed to bomb,I'll come up with something else in its place.But it actually is relevent.Is the tap water in nicer hotels drinkable or could one get sick?I never tried it other than to brush my teeth.Did see a notice on it being bad but that was in a cheap motel.Maybe it's best to just stick to buying bottled water from the convenience store.

Don't get discouraged on reply's. There are always more VIEWS than replies. It means NOTHING... really.

As for your question. The water is fine if you stay in the bigger cities (correct me if I'm wrong BM's)

My first experiences in Asia were in Cambodia, and all of the water there is suspect at best (don't even brush your teeth with their water).

but I have had no problems in Thailand. Others BM's will surely come along and give you more solid advice.

If your even slightly worried at any time the the price of bottled water is worth the peace of mind and OTHER THINGS.

Hey Cascade,

I don't drink the water anywhere but home. I brush my teeth with local water but only drink bottled.

Other than that, all you have to worry about is ice, coffee that isn't hot enough long enough, water used to wash dishes and vegetables, showering.. oh, and having some chick you never met, stick her tongue up your ass. (if your lucky ;) )

I try to be careful but I still get at least a mild case of the trots every trip.

If you find a way to be completely safe and still have fun, let me know!

Cheers

Don't get discouraged on reply's. There are always more VIEWS than replies. It means NOTHING... really.

As for your question. The water is fine if you stay in the bigger cities (correct me if I'm wrong BM's)

My first experiences in Asia were in Cambodia, and all of the water there is suspect at best (don't even brush your teeth with their water).

but I have had no problems in Thailand. Others BM's will surely come along and give you more solid advice.

If your even slightly worried at any time the the price of bottled water is worth the peace of mind and OTHER THINGS.

Most better hotels give you a couple of complimentary bottles of water each day anyway. And in the cheaper ones I would not risk it.

I NEVER even clean my teeth with tap water, I have got sick twice around Asia, and on both occasions, I begged for death it was that bad. It really is not worth the risk

I never drink the stuff, but always brush my teeth from the tap. Ive done this in Laos/Cambo/Vietnam/LOS and never had any huge issues.

The way I see it is we are all consuming the water in some way, be it washed plates with dribbles left on, ice in your drinks (apparently the big western companies McD's KFC have purified iced water - but I doubt the bars pay for such a premium ice cube!)

I suppose with the law of averages, Im due for an infection some time from this after 17 years of SE Asian mongering with no water-borne bugs :(

I never drink the stuff, but always brush my teeth from the tap. Ive done this in Laos/Cambo/Vietnam/LOS and never had any huge issues.

The way I see it is we are all consuming the water in some way, be it washed plates with dribbles left on, ice in your drinks (apparently the big western companies McD's KFC have purified iced water - but I doubt the bars pay for such a premium ice cube!)

I suppose with the law of averages, Im due for an infection some time from this after 17 years of SE Asian mongering with no water-borne bugs :(

No ice in beer or red wine, so no risk for me there.

Plates and salad yes, so I only eat salads in upmarket places too.

Don't really know why we worry about water when I think about what else we stick in out mouths :lol:

Edited by lbloveroz

No ice in beer or red wine, so no risk for me there.

Plates and salad yes, so I only eat salas in upmarket places too.

Don't really know why we worry about water when I think about what else we stick in out mouths :lol:

and other places :)

A better point was never made!

Edited by Up2You

Just ask yourself one simple question. Would I rather spend the extra 3 seconds to open the FREE bottled water to brush my teeth or would I rather spend my entire vacation pissing out my asshole?

For me the best bet is to treat all water that does not come from a bottle as if it will give you the galloping trots.

Most hotels, high and low end, get their water from the municipal water system which is fine if you are a local and possess the necessary bugs in your gut to counteract the creepy crawlies but if you are a pampered visitor just beware.

Just consider your potential partner and the embarrasment that could result from loose bowel syndrome right in the middle of a jolly rogering!

MH21

Just ask yourself one simple question. Would I rather spend the extra 3 seconds to open the FREE bottled water to brush my teeth or would I rather spend my entire vacation pissing out my asshole?

For me the best bet is to treat all water that does not come from a bottle as if it will give you the galloping trots.

Most hotels, high and low end, get their water from the municipal water system which is fine if you are a local and possess the necessary bugs in your gut to counteract the creepy crawlies but if you are a pampered visitor just beware.

Just consider your potential partner and the embarrasment that could result from loose bowel syndrome right in the middle of a jolly rogering!

MH21

With you all the way Millhouse, it does not paint a pretty picture.

With my luck it would happen with the best LB I had ever experienced, and I doubt she we offer a second opportunity when you got better. :(

This may sound naive, but I don't really worry about the tapwater. last few times that I went to "far remote and uncivilized" areas I kinda trained my gut a few weeks in advance by eating at different low-end kebab and shoarma places in Antwerp. Hygiene in those places is most of the time pretty doubtfull. Its like building up a barriere I guess. I never had any troubles anymore since.

Still I always carry some medicine along, just in case.

I know, sounds naive

off course, no doubt it is better to prevent than to heal

ps In Pai I took my malaria-tablets with tapwater

In my opinion,Thailand is a relatively clean country.Anyone who thinks otherwise-go and visit India!I always brush my teeth with the tap water in Thailand-no problem.I only drink the bottled water tho'.

I think to drink their tapwater is foolhardy.

I drink the iced water from the noodle stalls-no problem as they get their water from those purifying machines you see everywhere in Pattaya /bangkok.But given a choice ,I would drink the bottled water.

I had the shits a few times,but I never put it down to the water,I think its been salad that was washed in ordinary tap water that gave it to me.

I drank the tap water by mistake from a PTY condo once, by mistake. I was having one helluva hangover and I was out of cola and water. Luckily I didn't get any problems.

I doubt it is adviceable to drink tap water anywhere in Thailand.

Think there could be some nasty bugs in the water, and why risk ruin the holiday

when most hotels supply 2 free bottles of water each day.

In my opinion,Thailand is a relatively clean country.Anyone who thinks otherwise-go and visit India!I always brush my teeth with the tap water in Thailand-no problem.I only drink the bottled water tho'.

I think to drink their tapwater is foolhardy.

I drink the iced water from the noodle stalls-no problem as they get their water from those purifying machines you see everywhere in Pattaya /bangkok.But given a choice ,I would drink the bottled water.

I had the shits a few times,but I never put it down to the water,I think its been salad that was washed in ordinary tap water that gave it to me.

I have always said salad is not good for you!! :D

I don't take any chances I stick to bottled water,don't want to get sick on my holiday.

I just bought this filtered water bottle from Rubbermaid. It cost about $10 and says it filters about 300 bottles worth? Figured it would be good for travelling when unsure of the water. A lot of places I go have suspect water, not sure I can rely totally on this, but at very least can count on for brushing teeth.

I unscrewewd the top so you could see the filter system.

irb meeting 014.JPG

Trust me Do not go near the water in Bangkok except for showering. ...Close your mouth when under the shower ..even if your Hotel 5 Star has its own filtering system .

In a lot of cases sewer lines run down the same service trench as the water line. There are Omosis issues everywhere with raw sewerage and Scheme water running in the same stinking cesspools .Falang stomachs cannot deal with this bacteria which can make you very very Ill.

I cannot belive any Falang is drinking the water ,when its so cheap.to buy. I wont even start on the drugs that must exist in the water ,as they cannot be removing them with their very basic treatment plants . (IE Does your Ladyboy need more hormores , just drink the water )

Dont discount the effect the floods had on Treatment Plants as well IE they are still shut down in a lot of outter areas and the catchment areas are full of who knows what. Hope I am not being to much of a princess on this but these are the facts ...Cheers

Well thats Songran fucked then !! No seriously..Drink bottled water...I shower and brush my teeth with tap water. You don't need filter bottle systems or water purification tablets unless your going hiking somewhere away from everything,

and thats pretty difficult to do any where in Thailand now. Its an alien environment for most in terms of micro organisms..or orgasms and our defences are not as strong as the indigenous folk, but if get too paranoid then you'd never eat, drink or fuck anything.

If the ice is you are given is Tube ice then it has almost certainly been made with purified water - that is the norm in bars, often they just buy it in bags form 7-11. Crushed ice might or might not have been made with commercial ice as supplied to food shops such as fishmongers - It is cheaper and thus more the norm for street vendors.

Hotels tank their water so the stuff in your bathroom will have been sitting in the sun in a tank that last got cleaned when it left the factory.

A lot of users attach a pump direct to the main to draw the water out of the main faster and pump it to a high tank. This can create negative pressure in the main particularly during the frequent low pressure periods. The result is that any leak in the pipe will have whatever crap surrounds it sucked into the pipe. I have seen water the colour of lager - but probably not the best lager in the world - coming out of the tap.

never drank the water, never had ice, try not to eat salad, use bottled water for teeth, .. no problems in 25 trips .... what i save on imodium i can spend on bottled water .... simples !

I was staying at a decent hotel and I didn't know that the water from the tap was unsafe to drink. I brushed my teeth with it and would just refill my water bottle from the tap whenever I needed a drink.

I never got sick but when the LB I was with saw me doing it she told me that I shouldn't be drinking the tap water and should be going down to the 7/11 to buy bottles, or at the very least use hot water from the tap and leave it in the bottle for about 5 minutes to kill any bacteria.

I try to avoid drinking any non bottled water, but at the same time I go through a rigorous routine to ensure my body gets a good dose of the local's bacteria to deal with local bugs. The preferred dose is 3-4 times daily, taken orally and you can pick it up in most areas around Soi4 for as little as 500baht, hawkers are found all over the street especially late at night (you can usually get a free sample to check the taste is OK) before you take back to your room to administer. It's not recommended to take anally as can contain other nasties but orally its works like a treat and is protein packed. The side effects can cause sudden euphoria though so be warned if you have heart problems etc.