hughjass85

Thai english translations apps and how to set up (Android)

I haven't seen any threads about people using apps to communicate when there is a language barrier. Surprising as I thought they would be quite useful.

I have had a brief look at a few on play store and google translate seems to be the best one. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.translate&hl=en

If anyone has found any other good ones please post them here.

For those that don't know how to set up your phone/tablet to use translators effectively I will run through the process.

Before you can translate from Thai ---> English you have to have a way for the other party to input Thai. We do this by adding a thai keyboard.

Your version of android will differ but select "Language & input" in the settings on your phone/tablet. Then look for the "Keyboard & input methods" heading and click the settings icon where it says "Android Keyboard" :

androidkeyboard.png

Now select "Input languages" :

input languages.png

You will notice only English is selected :

english.png

Scroll down and tick the box next to Thai :

thai.png

When in google translate to switch from English to Thai and Thai to English select the arrow in the middle :

switcharoo.png

When you bring up your keyboard notice the button next to the spacebar :

englishmode.png

Clicking that will put you in "Thai mode" :

thaimode.png

Pretty straight forward stuff but I thought it might be a useful post in case there are some guys that don't know how to get it set up.

I'm interested to hear peoples experiences with these translator apps and if they are very effective.

Edited by hughjass85

For IOS I use a free app called "Translator"

Not only does it give you text but also speech, been having fun with it in Nam using phrases site as Nice Tits and Cute arse, maybe I will grow up one of these days but I doubt it.

Yeah i use that 'translator'app , very handy since my thai sux

What's the one your using ? I noticed a few when I just checked the app site.

Large Posterior

Just done it now on my new iPad Air

Setings / General / International / Keyboards, Add new Keyboard

That Easy

What's the one your using ? I noticed a few when I just checked the app site.

Talking Thai is the app i purchased ,, wasn't cheap for an app at about $20 if i remember correctly . You type in an english word (also has phrases) and it shows the thai word for which you can click on and it says the word in thai. The part i like the most is that it has little icons beside the thai words . These define whether the word is a 'naughty' word , a 'polite' word etc etc etc ,,,

Its pretty accurate according to a few very patient taxi drivers in bkk :)

So can the Thai person type back to you and have it translated to English Rod?

I sometimes find that after putting stuff through google translate, it makes even less sense than when I started.

Yeah definitely not suited for long sentences lol

So can the Thai person type back to you and have it translated to English Rod?

Yeah definitely not suited for long sentences lol

Ummm not sure ,, have another free app that translates either way but its not very accurate ...

The app i mentioned previously is more to teach yourself some thai

Talking Thai is the app i purchased ,, wasn't cheap for an app at about $20 if i remember correctly . You type in an english word (also has phrases) and it shows the thai word for which you can click on and it says the word in thai. The part i like the most is that it has little icons beside the thai words . These define whether the word is a 'naughty' word , a 'polite' word etc etc etc ,,,

Its pretty accurate according to a few very patient taxi drivers in bkk :)

Cheers I just have phrase book on the I phone but paid for the extra content rather than just have the basics. I am looking for a voice translator where you type the english word in and you can hear it in Thai. The phrase book I have as turned out to be female as when you hear the voice it always ends in ka. That's easy enough to change.

1654623_10152592074672468_669799424_n.jpg

1624560_10152592074477468_156935629_n.jpg

I have that one also OTS, I like the dating category and usually spit out a few phrases from that section in the bars for fun. A waste of time doing this at CIB though as the main language understood by the girls is Lao!

I have that one also OTS, I like the dating category and usually spit out a few phrases from that section in the bars for fun. A waste of time doing this at CIB though as the main language understood by the girls is Lao!

It's a good little app and they have updated it with body parts now. So I will be using the legs and chest bit when I get back out there.

It's a good little app and they have updated it with body parts now. So I will be using the legs and chest bit when I get back out there.

Very accurate translation with this app according to the gurls :)