cascade09

Hiv In Ladyboy Scene

But I think that's the way (the odds thing) works. Think of tossing a coin: When you start out, the chance of getting "tails" is 50% (or 1/2). If you got "heads" on the first toss, the chance of getting tails on the second toss isn't 50/50. It's 75/25 (3/4). If you get heads on the second toss, the odds become even more likely, 7/8 that you'll get tails on the third toss, and so on. This is how a doctor explained STD risks to me. He may be full of shit, but it makes sense. The word for this, BTW is "cumulative probability".

Of course all these probabilities assume that your partner already has the STD, and give the odds that you'll catch it. In fact, the odds that your partner has, say HIV, are perhaps 10 or 15% in Thailand (given that he's a male-to-male sex worker). So say the risk of drawing such a partner is 1/10. If you do receptive anal intercourse with him(at, say, a risk of 1/100), then your real risk is 1/10 * 1/100 == 1/1000. Add the use of a condom, which has a 10% risk of malfunction, and the odds become 1/10 * 1/100 * 1/10 == 1/10000.

(PS: the condom risk is for all people using all types of condoms. If you use good condoms correctly and the risk goes down accordingly)

I hope your Doc did better in his health courses than in statistics! Each "flip of the coin" is an independent event. Each flip in a series is 50-50. You can bet the series, but let's say for simplicity sake, three flips...then there are 8 outcomes. (23). No matter the history, each flip is 50-50. A three-sided coin, 1/3 --1/3--1/3 for each flip Three "shots?" 27 outcomes, but each flip is still 1/3 --1/3--1/3.

Well, I hope you're all right. (and if you are, it's a relief off my mind). I'll keep digging though, since I read this in two separate places and my doctor confirmed it. If I find anything authoritative I'll repost since it's a matter that affects all of us. Thanks for your replies.

A little cartoon to lighten the mood...

6mLe4db.png

Would say yes, this forum is for fun and going to Thailand should not be about worry but I don't think it does any harm having these sorts of questions on the site. As others have said, I would always use protection for receptive and insertive anal sex. I've also read up about safe sex and over the years I have a HIV test annually but will always have one each time I come back from Thailand. With those procedures in place, I put any worry I have right at the back of my mind and enjoy myself fully. To date no problems so that makes the worry less & less and more room for fun. Just be sensible but above all enjoy yourself. If it really does do your head in so much then probably best book 2-weeks in Majorca instead.

A couple of months ago there was a shit storm thread on LadyboysPattaya site about HIV (and one of the more popular girls in Pattaya). Amongst the drivel there was a lot of good information from places like health departments and such. One statistic I remember was Bangkok ladyboy infection rate is much lower than Pattaya.

Dig around I think it was in chit chat section.

"There are an estimated 62,800 transgender people living in Thailand. HIV prevalence among this group was estimated at 11% in 2018, making transgender people a particularly at-risk population. A 2015 UNICEF study found 39% of young transgender people had sold sex, making them particularly vulnerable to HIV.

Data reported by UNAIDS in 2019 suggests around three quarters (77%) of transgender women in Thailand use condoms regularly and around half have access to HIV prevention programmes. Around 40% of HIV positive transgender women are estimated to be aware of their status. Discriminatory heath systems, transphobia, family rejection and a lack of access to education and employment all discourage transgender people from seeking HIV services, leaving them behind in prevention and treatment work.

A study conducted in 2015 and 2016 found younger transgender women were also more likely to be HIV positive than older transgender women. Having an STI, having a low education level and using amphetamine-type stimulants were found to be more common among HIV positive transgender women, suggesting these factors further heighten transgender women’s risk of acquiring HIV."

https://www.avert.org/professionals/hiv-around-world/asia-pacific/thailand

29 minutes ago, Thanks said:

"There are an estimated 62,800 transgender people living in Thailand. HIV prevalence among this group was estimated at 11% in 2018, making transgender people a particularly at-risk population. A 2015 UNICEF study found 39% of young transgender people had sold sex, making them particularly vulnerable to HIV.

Data reported by UNAIDS in 2019 suggests around three quarters (77%) of transgender women in Thailand use condoms regularly and around half have access to HIV prevention programmes. Around 40% of HIV positive transgender women are estimated to be aware of their status. Discriminatory heath systems, transphobia, family rejection and a lack of access to education and employment all discourage transgender people from seeking HIV services, leaving them behind in prevention and treatment work.

A study conducted in 2015 and 2016 found younger transgender women were also more likely to be HIV positive than older transgender women. Having an STI, having a low education level and using amphetamine-type stimulants were found to be more common among HIV positive transgender women, suggesting these factors further heighten transgender women’s risk of acquiring HIV."

https://www.avert.org/professionals/hiv-around-world/asia-pacific/thailand

PrEP is the way to ease your mind if you are concerned. Preliminary studies show that 2 pills 2-24h before (unprotected) anal sex and 1 pill a day the next two days gives the same protection as every day use (6 days a week provides full protection). It's a no-brainer. 

The awareness of treatment amongst p4p workers in Bkk seems to be better than in Pattaya, perhaps due to all the organizations that visit the bars to inform of sexual health. As many is in treatment with no viral load, several of the high earning are on PrEP as well as some of the customers the number will eventually go down. 

58 minutes ago, Thanks said:

"There are an estimated 62,800 transgender people living in Thailand'

I find this number very hard to believe, it would mean I would be lucky to randomly see one a week in the population, let alone several or more a day as I currently do just going about my business. 

35 minutes ago, Ropey said:

I find this number very hard to believe, it would mean I would be lucky to randomly see one a week in the population, let alone several or more a day as I currently do just going about my business. 

Me too...

According to Wikipedia

"It is estimated that as many as six in every thousand native males later present themselves as transsexual women or phu ying kham phet."

Thailand has a population of around 70 million people. Let's say half of them are born male, then there are 35 million men in LOS of which 0,6% or up to 210,000 are considered transsexual. 

According to this site however:

there are only between 10,000 and 100,000 transsexuals in Thailand.. 

Perhaps we think there are more ladyboys in Thailand because we:

a. are particularly interested in ladyboys, and

b. because Sin City and Bangkok are places with a disproportionately high number of transsexuals?

Edited by Thanks

You still working out of Buakhao?

Sent from my RMX1851 using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, 4skin said:

You still working out of Buakhao?

Sent from my RMX1851 using Tapatalk

555 I wish! I live/work in the suburbs of Bangkok and they are everywhere. 

This is definitely the lowest number I've seen reported before, I had some stats last year from another post someone made, I'll have to try dig it out. 

5 hours ago, Ropey said:

The real question is how is it determined who is transsexual and what criteria was used for the determination. Does that just mean people who simply self-identify as trans,  or does it mean people who have started hormones and/or surgery, or people who are living full time as opposite sex but don't use hormones, or does it mean all of the above combined? I have always been skeptical of numerical figures presented by experts about gender ID and sexual behavior. You never know what the criteria they used when they did their calculations. 

29 minutes ago, oliver17 said:

The real question is how is it determined who is transsexual and what criteria was used for the determination. Does that just mean people who simply self-identify as trans,  or does it mean people who have started hormones and/or surgery, or people who are living full time as opposite sex but don't use hormones, or does it mean all of the above combined? I have always been skeptical of numerical figures presented by experts about gender ID and sexual behavior. You never know what the criteria they used when they did their calculations. 

Yeah that's very true. Plenty of guys here are what I call femboys which is probably a looser term than on this board, they wear makeup and a girl's hair style is all, but this is a fluid as the seasons in Northern climates, Thais have 10 descriptions for different types of gays though farangs only have LBTQI.

When I think ladyboy, I mean dress and act like a girl, not a guy in drag, but a guy who lives life as a girl. My experience here leads me to believe the bar scene most familiar with board, is but a tiny % of those who are around the country. While I do know ladyboys in professional jobs, and some that are self employed, most are employed in the services/sales industry so probably more forward facing as that's the type of industry that suits that type of outgoing person too. 

Edited by Ropey

I think there are more gender fluid in Thailand than trans. The amount of so called ladyboys that revert is astounding to me , and some of the most famous as well. Thailand has a way of warping ones reality . Lol 

1 hour ago, The-Sith said:

The Pulse Clinic told me that 35% of LBs in BKk have HIV

are you a member of the sister forum? That's a shocking stat, might generate an interesting thread there too

3 hours ago, 4skin said:

are you a member of the sister forum? That's a shocking stat, might generate an interesting thread there too

Yes. I have stated that there too. Pulse is on the front lines, so they have the stats....perhaps somewhat bias sample bc it catches those savvy enough to get tested thru them.

It's like Russian Roulette w 2 in the chamber. 33% chance.

44 minutes ago, The-Sith said:

Yes. I have stated that there too. Pulse is on the front lines, so they have the stats....perhaps somewhat bias sample bc it catches those savvy enough to get tested thru them.

It's like Russian Roulette w 2 in the chamber. 33% chance.

The testing bias will be strong with this one. I would bet money the actual stats are waaaaaaay less.

23 minutes ago, Jonard said:

The testing bias will be strong with this one. I would bet money the actual stats are waaaaaaay less.

possibly but I doubt such a responsible group would throw about wild statistics like that willy-nilly.
They struck me as being dedicated to spreading good advice about how to stay healthy and were very well informed about the current state of HIV, STDs and how to avoid getting sick

I wonder if what they really meant was that 35% of those tested were HIV+ ?

that would make more sense - but it would still be a frightening stat

38 minutes ago, Jonard said:

The testing bias is most likely to be for the professionals, the ones the BMs here are most likely to meet. Another positive for prep before you come. 

I would assume that it refers to those they tested rather than over ladyboy numbers, because the data on that would be very sketchy. 

Plenty of transsexuals in Western society, both female and male, just more acceptable here, so they come out.That's my theory. Who looks twice at a ladyboy or Tom. Having said that you present as female, you'd better make a good job of it, or you're gonna be a joke, Toms seem to have more leeway, I'm jealous, how do these fat guys/girls get such sexy women. Like guys are killing themselves to get ripped, in the hope this is gonna attract females,  and the only people they attract are other guys. 

In Westen society I've personally met (i.e, spoke to as opposed to read about in the media) three, here they're everywhere. No doubt a lot of the guys are secretly trying out their wives' underwear.

As for HIV - anal sex is conducive to spreading the disease, combine that with a p4p culture, and a reluctance to use condoms; well, the results are pretty predictable.

Life's a joke.

220px-Watchmen_Smiley.svg.png

Whatever the numbers or % are. Just wear the party hat :D When you get used to condom. It's no big deal. You will come as easily as without. You have to just find your size and what style fits your knob. Really try and test many size. When you find good brand and fit you know. If you live in Thailand, order them from where ever.

Lots of discussion about this topic in the forum. personally i think wearing the condom and maybe prep is safest thing to do if really mongering. Never done prep but i thinking it good idea. As it is easy to get and should be no side effects. And risk of getting hiv in blowjob is something like same as winning the lottery or lighting strike. Of course don't be stupid. If you have anything wrong in your mouth like ulcer or bleeding gums better to heal first. Or make the partner wear the party hat :D

I hope the Thai government will educate more about STD for coming generations. Lot of nasty things beside Hiv out there.

Edited by ixix
missing words