Sign in to follow this  
scottie1954

Thai driving licence

Heard it is rather easy, having your own national driving licence plus the international one, to get the Thai one in a matter of a couple of days.

Is that correct? Even if not resident.

I imagine an agency can handle that...

Any intel?

Edited by scottie1954

Can you read english, can you say red yellow and green in english?

Do you have the right amount of baht?

Thats is pretty much it from what I have heard from family out there- and you wonder why the road are so strewn with accidents over there...

Here's some carnage from my recent trip to Phuket. I was in a minibus when we ran into a short delay on the way to the airport.

CD's w mint 208.JPG

CD's w mint 209.JPG

CD's w mint 210.JPG

One trip into Phuket I saw the aftermath of motorbike accident that looked like a certain fatality. One thing I've been told many times is that if you are ever in an accident with a Thai its always your fault. I would advise everyone to check their travel Insurance in regards to renting motorbikes and the coverage.

I've never rented a car but used to rent 100 and 125 CC bikes in Phuket and Kanchanaburi. I wouldn't dare do this in BKK. Even jumping on a motorbike taxi this last trip was a bit to harrowing for me. In BKK best off getting a metered taxi I think. Not always easy.

:) indeed I said I want a thai driving licence as a document, I didn't say I want to drive there. 55555

No way I am going to do that... I went far only in renting a scooter in koh phangam, that was the most extreme I ventured.

I don't even ever thought in taking Moto taxi so far...

I agree, metered taxi.. And BTS.

Edited by scottie1954

I have driven over there a fair bit. Any long distance journeys I did in the past would usually involve seeing 3 or 4 cars smashed up by the road side.

It is driving citys that I have never fancied doing much of- outside of those so lopng as you remember "if the vehicle is bigger than mine IT has right of way" and "always expect the unexpected" from your fellow road users you should be ok...

Its the law that has you fucked if you happen to be involved in a collision ,farang will amost certainly be at fault . Not worth the laughs for me , its so cheap for transport with out driving your self .

Hi Scottie, it's easy you need a medical certificate you can get from most pharmacys 300 baht then go to the driving centre on Sukhumvit around soi 101 fill in the forms take your drivers license which they give back fill in the forms do a silly sit down test and hey presto they take your picture and five minutes later you have a Thai license valid for one year.

Its the law that has you fucked if you happen to be involved in a collision ,farang will amost certainly be at fault . Not worth the laughs for me , its so cheap for transport with out driving your self .

Agreed if you are only over there for a couple of weeks at a time just be driven rather than hire. And yes small collisions and dings the falang pays... but I do like the way insurance works over there with company reps coming out direct to the accident and you insure the car no need to have drivers on the policy like in UK... just make sure you have full insurance cover in case of injury to someone else or you could be in for interesting expensive times if an accident happens...

Have done quite a few road trips in LOS in my past and I much prefer to be behind the wheel rather than being driven by an idiot, much safer imho!

Hi Scottie, it's easy you need a medical certificate you can get from most pharmacys 300 baht then go to the driving centre on Sukhumvit around soi 101 fill in the forms take your drivers license which they give back fill in the forms do a silly sit down test and hey presto they take your picture and five minutes later you have a Thai license valid for one year.

sounds nearly easy... :) a way to kill a morning as no bars are open then! LOL

Got my thai license in 30 mins, not days, as already noted, read out some colours, sat in front of a little box and pulled some string until i got 2 sticks in line, then sat at a home made wooden PS 1 driver control, when the redlight came on hit what i assumed was the break and hay presto 1 thai license, and the gave me the bike license as well. Medical fees apart for the 2 came to 350B.

Despite having a few bikes and a full uk bike license i will not travel on 2 wheels here, always like the protection of the pickup..

As a confirmed biker i never thought i'd hear myself say that.

Were i live, if i see tourist walking i stop and offer them a lift and explain how dangerous it is on thai roads.