Sign in to follow this  
Guest b-man

Stamp Passport at Immigration

Guest b-man

I haven't been to Thailand for a while, been 3 years but wanted to know does Immigration still stamp the passport or staple an Arrival notice in the passport.

I don't want to have my passport stamped as it's new and GF might look and ask why I was in Thailand for a week when I should be somewhere else! :Bonkers:

If they still stamp could I ask them to not stamp the passport and staple an Arrival notice. I know alot to ask of them if they don't do it but at least should try.

Unless you can change the law ,you gonna be stamped and stapled :),,,,,although one trip they didnt staple which was cool but that was an over sight i think ,,,,

Edited by aussierod77

You can ask them to fold the card and place it in the passport. No need to staple it as it's not law. Just make sure it does not fall out of your passport as I had lost mine and when leaving the guy asked for departure card and I could not find it after a few minutes of checking my bag, he just said fill another out.Daft fucker that I am put it in the zip pocket that is inside the bottom of the bag where my money goes.

As for the stamp I do not know, though some countries I have been don't stamp it at all.

Edited by OneTrueSaxon

Guest b-man

Thanks for the responses. I will ask when I arrive and see if I get anywhere.

@OneTrueSaxon, it sounds like it's similar to HK. They also give you an arrival card which you have to keep in your passport. I also lost it once on my 40+ trips in and out of HK over the last few years. Nothing happened.

I wouldn't generally worry about this with my old passport as it's got plenty of stamps and easily hidden but my new passport has one stamp and soon Thailand.

I doubt you can avoid having the stamp in your passport but do let us know how you get on. It would be a godsend to me, as I keep needing to replace my passport after about 4 years due to all those pesky stamps.

I doubt you can avoid having the stamp in your passport but do let us know how you get on. It would be a godsend to me, as I keep needing to replace my passport after about 4 years due to all those pesky stamps.

Actually the reason is for legal reasons. They need to have a paper stamp on the fact that you landed in Thailand and thats the reason why. The same reason one needs to fill a landing card too though they are trying to pass legislation that may do away with the landing card.

Well iim not asking those poker faced immigration staff to do anything that might slightly disturb them ,,i just wanna get straight through no hassles ,,,,rather a staple than a hassle ,,,,:)

If you are not a dual national and don't have two passports there is another answer if you British.

Brits can have two passports. All you need to do is submit a passport application with a letter from your company explaining that you travel to places like China, Vietnam, Myanmar etc... where you need to submit your passports for Visas but still need the ability to travel on business. Get someone to sign it and put a job title as HR Manager or something.

Just don't tell them that you line of business is mongering and hunting lb in LOS. :coffee:

I haven't been to Thailand for a while, been 3 years but wanted to know does Immigration still stamp the passport or staple an Arrival notice in the passport.

I don't want to have my passport stamped as it's new and GF might look and ask why I was in Thailand for a week when I should be somewhere else! :Bonkers:

If they still stamp could I ask them to not stamp the passport and staple an Arrival notice. I know alot to ask of them if they don't do it but at least should try.

I don't think Immigration will do that to please you (and your GF)... It means you have something to hide (indeed) and that can only lead (at polcie eyes) to something illegal rather than innocent. As somebody said, some countries allow people to have two passports (UE citizenships for isntance) for some reasons. Some other countries do not stamp your passport as they know that will create difficulties when entering other countries or returning back home (Cuba is one, for the USA citizens, and I think also Israel, but not sure).

.Daft fucker that I am put it in the zip pocket that is inside the bottom of the bag where my money goes.
you hide it well not to loose it and then, as it happens, you did not remmebr wher you hide it! LOL shit happens!

Actually the departure card is not compulsory to keep. You can always fill in a new one on departure.

The departure card is stamped with your date of arrival and immigration have been known to get shirty if you lose it.

The departure card is stamped with your date of arrival and immigration have been known to get shirty if you lose it.

I have always filled a new one every time and I go very often sometimes once a month.

Just keep your passport in a secure place & dont let your girlfriend look at your passport

Problem solved

:D

Just keep your passport in a secure place & dont let your girlfriend look at your passport

Problem solved

:D

Well my non trusting ex asked to see my passport when she thought I arrived earlier. I'm a dual passport holder so I gave her the one without the stamp and she asked wheres the stamp. I told her that the country and thailand have agreement and no stamp or visa is required. She didn't buy it. She gave me the "tell the truth and I will forgive, but not forget" So I fessed up and she found out that I had been in Phuket for 18 days before coming into BKK. :Bonkers: She never let me forget it. then I really got it when she found a memory card full of ladyboys in various positions. Doh!

Somebody mentioned the stapling of the departure card, for what its worth they didn't staple it to my passport in August.

They did not staple the departure card into my passport when i visited in March but i very much doubt you gan get around the stamp in any way as it state your date of entry and the date of your last legal stay in LOS. When leaving the country the write the day of departure in the stamp as well so they can tell if you overstayed when/if you return.

Unless you can somehow bribe an immigration official (not unheard of in LOS) you are SOL. They always stamp the passport, depending on the official they may or may not staple the departure card.

In the USA, you can also apply for a second passport - they are only valid for 2 years, but that will keep you legal. As for the reason, you need one to go for a visa while you will be traveling on the primary.

Then go to Thailand on the 2 year passport and they can stamp away and your GF will be none the wiser......

Problem solved :-)

If it is a huge problem, why not just get a new one? Just spill some coffee over the one u have and bring it ;) There are always solutions, just depends how much u want to keep things in the dark.

If you think about this properly there is no way you can get around having the stamp in your passport.

It is done for legal reasons to prove (or disprove if you like) how long you have been in the country.

You cannot simply ask an immigration official not to stamp your passport because you dont want to upset your teerak. :No No Tut Tut:

Well you can try..........but it will make you an object of suspicion,and it may lead to them pulling you aside for some questioning :ph34r:

.And Im guessing that is the last thing you want as you start your holiday.

Ask away...... :blink:

Edited by Dalef65

If you think about this properly there is no way you can get around having the stamp in your passport.

It is done for legal reasons to prove (or disprove if you like) how long you have been in the country.

You cannot simply ask an immigration official not to stamp your passport because you dont want to upset your teerak. :No No Tut Tut:

Well you can try..........but it will make you an object of suspicion,and it may lead to them pulling you aside for some questioning :ph34r:

.And Im guessing that is the last thing you want as you start your holiday.

Ask away...... :blink:

I agree Dale ... Welcome to the forum :)

I once was so wasted when I arrived in Bali I couldn't be fucked lining to go through immigration. So I simply walked around the desk while they were serving someone else. No one even noticed, but when I tried to leave the country and had no stamp or travel documents at all, it caused quite a stir I must say.