Sign in to follow this  
Fatcat

Compact camera's

Can anyone recommend a nice inexpensive idiot proof camera ours got " borrowed " and cannot be found.

On an unrelated note can anyone recommend a nice compact camera that won't break the bank and is idiot proof !!!....

I have a Nikon Coolpix S9100, that i bought about 2 years ago. Good pictures quality and 100% certified idiot proof (I'm the proof)

I don't know much about camera's, but I'm happy with my Canon Power Shot A3100. This is my second Power Shot. The model has gotten smaller and less expensive. I bought my first Power Shot in 2002/2003 for $300 AUD/USD It was replaced in 2005 by the A3100 which fits in the palm of your hand. It's light weight and you can put it in your front pockets with or without a case. It has something like 18 settings including automatic. It takes a while to get used to them, but trial and error will sort you out. Also takes video of decent quality.

This is my first attempt at a video for you tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufwPXc2b4yE

Works fine in the bar or the bedroom. Here is a couple shots inside Darkside where the lighting isn't so great, but the camera compensates with an indoor setting.

darkside bell 008.JPG

Nightime setting for outside the bar.

darkside bell 004.JPG

and in the bedroom.

darkside bell 010.JPG

I bought mine at an electronics store and was lucky to get them on clearance for the newer model so it only cost me $60. You can get the latest model on Amazon for $179, and Ebay for $50. It has some pretty strong reviews on the net if you look it up.

canon_powershot_a3100_is_review-275x210.jpg

I still have my first one and works fine till this day. The newer model has a chargeable battery. It's great for my needs. Easy to carry, durable, point and shoot.

The best feature is the camera doesn't intimidate ladyboys I've found.

Brilliant thanks guys,still not got one yet will update asap.

The Samsung WB250F and the Sony DSC-WX300 looks interesting. both Just came out a few months ago, and have wifi and good reviews.

In my experience Sony makes better cameras than Samsung, but it is 2000 Baht more (10,000 vs 8000)

You can walk over to Emporium and see if they have the cameras at Powerbuy and the Sony shop.

Edited by Snick

The Samsung WB250F and the Sony DSC-WX300 looks interesting. both Just came out a few months ago, and have wifi and good reviews.

In my experience Sony makes better cameras than Samsung, but it is 2000 Baht more (10,000 vs 8000)

You can walk over to Emporium and see if they have the cameras at Powerbuy and the Sony shop.

What are you currently using for a compact camera Snick - your pics always look good. Maybe if you upgrade, you have a ready buyer in Fatcat? - But I'd also like to know as I am looking around. I'd agree about Samsung though - never seen 'great' results from those and we used at both Anaconda & Guess before - both easily breakable as well (which is what happened). Casio as well, mediocre results.

I'm using a Sony RX-100, a higher end (and much more expensive) camera than what Fatcat needs.

Casio, Olympus, Samsung all make 'blah' cameras IMHO

For compact cameras I like Sony, Panasonic, Canon, Fuji....roughly in that order (Never used 'small' Nikon)

This is sold in Thailand - Sony DSC WX80 and fair value at 6990b. Not a bad review here:-

http://www.pcmag.com...,2419661,00.asp

A cheaper Sony here reviewed which is only 2990b and it shows. Model is DSC W710. However maybe good enough for Snaps in the bar.

http://www.digitalca...ressions-review

Edited by mardhi

Fatcat had mentioned to me that he wanted cameras with built in WiFi, thats why I recommended the two models above, if you don't want WiFi there are a lot of less expensive alternatives

Picked up a cheapo camera today just for putting in your pocket and not losing it. Sony cybershot DSC TX66. Power Buy knocking them out at 4700b down from 7xxx something. Will try it out tonight and share some results.

Here are a few sample pictures taken last night. I think (when I'd had a few beers) I changed the settings to be some mood setting or another. Anyhow, despite that, the pics seem good to me. Very easy to use as well.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

The :Camera: look good and the indoor shots which can be a bit of challenge with bar lighting are solid. Great upskirt shot.

Got a new camera but it's not idiot proof " Doh " how do I resize pics to post ?

Got a new camera but it's not idiot proof " Doh " how do I resize pics to post ?

Go to menu find image size and set it at 640*480 or as close to that as you can and you won't have to resize pictures.

I will do it for you in 19 days time if you ain't got it done by then mate :Camera: :Camera:

Edited by OneTrueSaxon

you need to open the pics with a viewer and then surely on the options you can downsize them quite easily. It is jot only the byte size but the format size. Then you save them under a slightly different name to keep the old and the new ones.

A hint is to set the camera in medium definition of 400/500 Mb each picture. Far more than what is needed. Recent camera have 5 or more Giga definition that I rate useles for 99% of the purpose we take picture, taking also un-necessary memory space and make emails huge and heavy. Nobody is going to do a Time Square billboard with a compact camera photo...:)

Can we expect some :Camera: updates fatcat? A few forum members will be coming soon and could use a preview.