Bangkok Ladyboys Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jeimii

any warning or tips for money organisation?

Not sure if this was quite the right section for this but:

My main activity will be going out to Guess Bar, the NEP bars, Darkside etc.

So having looked through the forum I see that when guys go out they typically only take with them the money they will need, which I guess comprises of:

Drinks

Lady Drinks

Barfine

Food

For the ST/LT fee I will leave it in the safe as I was planning on always going back to the hotel as it is very close to the action (having said that this will be my first trip so please let me know if this is not a sensible idea).

Now where I live it is always cold enough to wear a jacket with a zip pocket on the inside, so this is where I normally put my wallet. But on the bases that I won’t be wearing a jacket in Bkk, and will only be carrying cash I wondered if you more experienced guys had any tips about how to go about this.

One tip I saw was to take out what you think you will need but keep a couple of larger bills in your shoe. Then do you just keep the smaller money in your jeans pockets? If sitting back at a lounge bar doesn’t it all fall out?

I saw pacsafe do a wallet that hangs round your neck and would go under a shirt, but not sure that would be ideal, or another one that attached to your belt but goes inside your jeans, that in fairness did not look too bad. What do you guys do?

In addition I was not planning on taking my phone when I go out in the evening, and thought if I really want to swap numbers I can resort to a pen and paper, although in the past I have found having a smartphone when out very useful so am not totally decided on this…

Finally when you initially travel, would you typically bring out a large amount of cash and then use the hotel safe, or a smaller amount and use the ATM regularly?

Thanks very much.

You are being very cautious, and why not.

Personally i never bring my wallet with me out to the bars. Keep maybe 2000baht in one pocket and another 1000 in smaller notes in the other pocket. That should cover expenses til you get to your hotel. Stuffing your shoes with notes i do in Pattaya, not necessary in Bkk.

I always use my iPhone no matter where i go. Unless you are planning to get extremely drunk you will be fine bringing your phone.

When i travel i never exchange any money ahead, i bring my visa card and pull out some cash at Swampy. When i´m set in my room with a safe i go to an ATM and pull maybe 30k and put it in the safe, then take only what i need for the nightout. Theres a fee of 150 Baht each time pulling on the visa, so you save a tiny bit by withdrawing larger sums. Leave the ATM card in the safe all the time except for when withdrawing cash.

What ever you think you are going to spend x it by 3 and then you should be ok , cash machine next to nana must be the busiest in Bangkok ;-)

yeah i agree Lotus ,,,,i couldnt possibly plan on how much was enough for one evening either ,as i don't like to skimp on anything good if it were on offer :P

My suggestion: don't get uptight about a few thousand baht in your wallet. It's just not that much money when you add it up. I empty my wallet of credit cards and other valuable items and take usually 4,000 to 5,000 baht with me and one form of I.D (not my passport). Everything else is locked up in my safe. I leave my smartphone in the safe too because I figure i'm not really going to need it and I would hate to misplace it somewhere after one too many drinks. I carry my wallet in the front pocket of my pants, something that I've been doing since I was a teenager growing up on the mean streets of America. I've never been pick-pocketed in my entire life. 5,000 baht will easily cover my dinner at a street stall, numerous drinks for myself and the ladies, plus a bar fine (or two). Most nights I spend much less than that. First thing I do when I bring a girl back to my room is pop the wallet in the safe. Then I can relax for the rest of the night and not worry about her going through my pants while I'm in the shower, the toilet, or sleeping. It's all pretty simple and stress free.

I will add that I've never had a Thai girl (LB or GG) try to steal from me. I put everything in the safe more because I don't want to think about it than out of fear of being robbed.

Thanks guys some really good tips there. I will definitely make use of the safe, as you say once it is in the safe you can just relax. I know what you mean about underestimating how much you will need, when I was out in Japan (Osaka) I got enough for what I thought would last for four nights and ended up back at the ATM the same night! So I feel pretty much sorted for Bkk now, I am in Thai for 8 nights altogether and have booked for four in Bkk and will see how it is going and either stay in Bkk or do four in Pattaya too. Thanks again for the tips - I will do a trip report to return the favour.

Here is a little flyer that the tourist police were handing out my last trip.

misc photo 009.JPG

IMG_2930.jpg

It basically alerts tourists of pick pockets/bag snatchers. I've never been a victim of crime on the streets, only a camera lifted from a LB in a botched 3-some.

I reckon single males aren't as big target as the typical tourists, women and elderly. Then again I take precautions. I don't carry a wallet. I also only get my ATM card out of a safe spot to get a few days cash out. Only carry a days worth of cash on me. I also bring a cheap phone to LOS.

Got to love the way it's written on Thai for tourists lol

That's so the Thai crims can read how the tourist Police are educating the tourists. :D That'll stop'em.

They were handing these out my last trip along Soi 4 somewhere. I think their tourist Police are actually Thai unlike Pattaya who have those retired farangs.

I agree with Siam Man - be careful with your money and stuff. In fact, I don't even carry a wallet in Thailand. I carry just what I need for the current adventure.

Its also a good idea to carry your passport with you. Technically in Thailand its the law that you must have a passport with you. I carry this with one of those inside the pants pockets. I use one by Eagle Creek called Travel Gear Undercover Hidden Pocket - here is an Amazon link to give you an idea:http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Creek-Travel-Undercover-Hidden/dp/B0054IH9UC

Inside that is my passport, room key, and 3,000 extra Baht.

If I need cash, I will take my ATM card and do that during the day and then leave the ATM card in the hotel.

Have to disagree about carrying your passport with you. Much too big of a risk. Make a photo copy of the main page and the page with the latest visa stamp, put the copies in your pocket and lock the passport in the safe.

Have to disagree about carrying your passport with you. Much too big of a risk. Make a photo copy of the main page and the page with the latest visa stamp, put the copies in your pocket and lock the passport in the safe.

That's a fact Jack. Although they say you should a photo copy would suffice. I have had a few brushes with the law in thailand and never had my passport of a copy on me. Stopped twice for no helmet in Phuket and given 300 baht fines. Once where they were stopping everyone and bagged me for another 300 baht for not having a drivers liscence on me. Another in Kanchanaburi for running a stop light. I had to go to the station for that one and some how got off with a 150 baht fine.

I never carry my passport and don't even leave it laying around the room or stashed in a backpack. Bargurlz have been known to lift anything of value from your room. A passport is easy for them to conceal and they know they can get 1,000 to 3,000 baht for them depending on the country the passport is from. You don't want to lose a passport. You'll waste a day getting a replacement and it goes on the system when you lose one, which makes it harder for you to get it replaced if it happens again. I spoke to this one fella who was cleaned out by a GG in Phuket and he had to borrow money, go to BKK to get replacement. It ended up taking a couple days out of his holiday. A lot of times when you rent a motor bike or Jet ski they want hold on to your passport. that's when you definitely want copies.

The issue isn't really what you keep on your person. It's about not giving someone a chance to get their hands on it.

I keep my wallet, phone, whatever else I have on me at the time in my pockets which I take to the bathroom with me when i shower and then put my clothes somewhere in sight in the room.

Before anyone leaves I just check my pockets, make sure all is there and away she (they) can go.

I wouldn't recommend carrying a cheap phone, tho. There is nothing more important in the whole world to ladyboys than mobile phones.

Walking around with a 2002 black and white Nokia phone Is like wearing dirty rags and odd shoes in their eyes.

The issue isn't really what you keep on your person. It's about not giving someone a chance to get their hands on it.

I keep my wallet, phone, whatever else I have on me at the time in my pockets which I take to the bathroom with me when i shower and then put my clothes somewhere in sight in the room.

Before anyone leaves I just check my pockets, make sure all is there and away she (they) can go.

I wouldn't recommend carrying a cheap phone, tho. There is nothing more important in the whole world to ladyboys than mobile phones.

Walking around with a 2002 black and white Nokia phone Is like wearing dirty rags and odd shoes in their eyes.

i pretty much do the same but i have been guilty of the old phone untill my recent trip lol

i pretty much do the same but i have been guilty of the old phone untill my recent trip lol

One of them gave me a look that would turn new milk when she saw my iPhone3.

Like I was holding a turd in my hand.

In the end I didn’t take my phone out (s3) but that meant I only got a few photos, so next time I will definitely take the phone and just be careful. I was useless at working out how much money I would need, so ended up taking some cash and one atm card too, all in a wallet. I was seriously paranoid about losing my wallet when drunk so I basically attached to my jeans via a discreet cord which seemed to work very well…well I didn’t lose anything. But not having a camera was a mistake…

does anyone bring a laptop? sounds like the safes are too small for them - any advice for keeping them safe?

Yes, I do. Plenty of Internet places around in BKK also but I like access so I'm only typing passwords and loading photo's on mine. I can also check my PM's to communicate with other BM's who are on the ground.

Some safes (Ibis) it will fit, and those that don't I slide it in between mattress and :fuck2: my ladyboy on top of just to keep it out of site. I've also kept it up front at reception before. Out of site out of mind.

Yes, I do. Plenty of Internet places around in BKK also but I like access so I'm only typing passwords and loading photo's on mine. I can also check my PM's to communicate with other BM's who are on the ground.

Some safes (Ibis) it will fit, and those that don't I slide it in between mattress and :fuck2:my ladyboy on top of just to keep it out of site. I've also kept it up front at reception before. Out of site out of mind.

thanks!