Boomerang

Rabbit Card for transport in BKK

G'day all ,,, just wondering if anyone has been using or used the new rabbit cards for the BTS and MRT and BRT ??? Have read a little about them ,,credit is valid for 5 years ..Can also use them as a cash card at a fair few fast food outlets ( starbucks , mcdonalds being just 2 outlets) Any info may be useful :)

It was probably one of the first things I bought when I went to BKK. It was pretty cheap, but I think you need to pay like a 150 baht set up fee for the card. But then the rates per BTS ride made up for that in the long run.

You can top it up with cash, or you can buy "trips" where you pay like a lump amount and you get a certain number of trips which equates to around 30-15 baht per trip depending on how much your lump sum is. (from memory, I bought 15 trips for 300 Baht but that was because I had the green student rabbit card and I needed my passport for verification)

I think you can also earn Rabbit points which you can redeem at stores like McDonalds, But I remember it being not worth the effort.

The other good thing about having the rabbit card was that, during NYE, Chit Lom BTS was filled with people and it was packed like sardines. People with Rabbit cards had a special line and we just flew to the beginning, leaving the other people behind in our wake.

A GG friend of mine had a spare rabbit card and gave it to me, so I skipped the 'issuing fee', :P maybe another farang paid for it, hubbahubba%20(1).gif

Had still some credit and I topped it up with 2 or 300 bahts. Sits in my wallet (together with Singapore MRT's even if i use it only once a year)

Convenient, no need to line at the cashier to change coins and then to get the ticket, no need to check how much is your trip, jsut go through and pay (card deducted) when you exit, wherever you exit.

I am not sure there is a discount on the fare, ie a trip worth 30 baht is stil billed 30 baht in the card.

Not much worried anout that, but the fact you skip any line is a plus.

i think it pays back in a few days if you use the BTS 3-4 times a day.

Use one all the time. Best thing is not queueing for tickets, esp at Asoke BTS. Also have an MRT stored value card, although that's not converted to Rabbit yet.

You pay for a number of trips allowable in a 30 day period. 40 trips costs 830 baht which works out at 20 baht a trip however far you go. So Mor Chit to On Nut usually 40 baht=1/2 price. Useful if you use it a lot for regular journeys costing over 20 baht one way.

You must use the credit in a 30 day period though. Definitely worth it for convenience alone. The card costs 110 baht to buy initially I think.

Where do you buy these? At the stations? and can you get them at airport?

Is it true what Cheyenne says that credit only good for 30 days? Use it or lose it?

Lastly any verification of the initial set-up cost?

I have a rabbit card, pre-paid and it is valid at least 6 months or more from last topping

google on rabbit card and you will find all terms

This Rabbit card seems to be very useful. Will definitely get it.

http://www.rabbitcard.com/en/page/retail

http://www.rabbitcard.com/en/content/real-fans-pirates-get-ready-rabbit-one-piece-film-z-0

Saw this promotional Rabbit cards but the page mentioned "Sales price does not include purse value" Does it means these Rabbit cards no money value when we buy it initially?

Finding the Rabbit card very useful. Great to avoid lines as the BRT seems more crowded than ever these days. MRT is not included on the Rabbit card and you can't use it for the airport link unfortunately.

Last trip I went to load more baht on on it and it still had 40 baht on it. So I asked the teller how long till it expires and she said two years from last use. Thats great no wasted baht. The one draw back is that you can only load 100 baht increments so don't even think about dumping coins on them unless they add up to 100 baht.

I haven't been impressed with the MRT equivalent. Bought one for 230b and the first time I swiped it was already down nearly 100b for a 29b journey.

Can't say I ever had that happen. I lived right off the MRT at Phra Rama 9 (Fortune Town stop) and used it almost every day it always charged me the correct fare. If your only going to be in town short time you can always buy the 3 day MRT card which gives you unlimited trips.

100% agree on the value of carrying one. I currently have 500 THB creidt on mine and visit BKK every few months. Its great to just skip the ticket machine lines and jump right on.

The card is well worth it.

100% agree on the value of carrying one. I currently have 500 THB creidt on mine and visit BKK every few months. Its great to just skip the ticket machine lines and jump right on.

The card is well worth it.

I usually load up both cards on my last day with whatever spare baht I have. It is really convenient especially when I arrive on weekends or during rush hour, those lines can be brutal to wait in at times.

I always reload my rabbit card when i arrive with about 300+bht depending on my length of my stay which is normally about 3 or 4 days, The rabbit card is excellent which like some agree saves queing up and i hate queing.

I am not sure if your card expires after a certian length of time not using it, i know you can just buy another one but if you have a decent amount of credit on it, you don't want to lose it. I normally return within a six month period and i just top up when i arrive in BKK, but as cutefarang say's use your spare baht when going home to top up ready for the next visit,.once again save queing when you arrive because all you want to do is get straight to your hotel/accommadation.

I did not know that the MRT has it's own version as i thought that the rabbit card was going to be universal for the both transport systems. I guess with them being seperate companies it does make sense.

Pat