Sign in to follow this  
Maitri

Local Thai Eats

Last time in Bangkok, I discovered the value of eating at a local market that served all kinds of Thai dishes at night, and sold mostly takeout items and souvenirs in the day time. I ate at the night market twice. It is located under the Skytrain along Sukhumvit before Soi 1.

DSC00094.JPG

DSC00095.JPG

Miss that scene! The market has a diverse menu out front, and the locals are there cooking good traditional Thai food at very reasonable prices what seems to be nightly, and I saw a lot of locals eating there, so knew it must be very good. I can recommend it, especially for budget travelers. Great place to go eat before heading to NEP.

DSC00093.JPG

DSC00092.JPG

CM, that is a good spot indeed.

I really enjoy the option of the cheap street-side eats. Last night my girl and I ordered from the guy across the street from my apartment. Tom Yum mushroom, vegetables and pork belly with chili and bean sauce, chicken with chili and basil, fried egg, thai sausage and two rice - $6. Can't beat it!

(of course I've had two sits on the john so far this morning but that is par for the course!)

Cheers guys, I think these types of places are awesome.

During the day, you can also find delicious eats for cheap along the same stretch.

DSCN1358.JPG

Just as an example, one day I ate a nice lunch of some homemade tofu and veggie raw spring rolls as well as some traditional fried spring rolls for a total of like 80 baht???? I mean, how can you go wrong?? As a general rule of thumb, I think that in any foreign country if you see a lot of locals eating somewhere, it is good. You can find other great foods there too. Support the locals!

DSCN1359.JPG

Last time in Bangkok, I discovered the value of eating at a local market that served all kinds of Thai dishes at night, and sold mostly takeout items and souvenirs in the day time. I ate at the night market twice. It is located under the Skytrain along Sukhumvit before Soi 1.

attachicon.gifDSC00094.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC00095.JPG

Miss that scene! The market has a diverse menu out front, and the locals are there cooking good traditional Thai food at very reasonable prices what seems to be nightly, and I saw a lot of locals eating there, so knew it must be very good. I can recommend it, especially for budget travelers. Great place to go eat before heading to NEP.

attachicon.gifDSC00093.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC00092.JPG

I agree, had a meal there a couple of weeks ago and the food was really good.