bangui

STD Screening - in a Hong Kong gogo bar

Intesresting development in Hong Kong.

About 2 months ago, I was in my go-to GG gogo bar in Wanchai, having a casual couple of beers with my friends the Filipina mama-san and the local DJ (and cashier) at about 8pm. The place was empty but me at that early hour, and half way into my first beer, a group of three health worker volunteers entered.

They plopped down in one of the booths and laid out their testing equipment. Turns out they come into the bar every month and test all the GGs in the bar. They do the whole range of blood tests and mouth swabs for a large number of stds. I had never seen this before in HK and the mama-san said they have been doing it for a year (and no positives to date).

I jumped in for a quick finger prick and within ten minutes my negative results came back for HIV and one other disease I don’t remember. I hadn’t even realized they have testing that happens that quickly – although there is the warning about not being effective for the last 60 days, etc.

In any case, I was happily surprised that the bar allowed them to come in and do this testing – protects the girls, protects the customers.

Anyone hear or see this happening in BKK?

Hi Bangui,

I pass through HK quite a bit and often stay at the Wanchai area. I like the places as it is full of bars and places to eat so I can do it all and stumble home at the end of the evening.

Would you mind sharing the name of the bar you were at? I'd like to visit the place on my next trip.

Thanks.

T

Guest b-man

There are no Gogo bars in Hong Kong. There are the 'Curtain Bars' and 'Gentlemen's Clubs' but no Gogo bars. Prostitution is legal but strip clubs are not.

Tovex,

Sorry for late reply. The bar is the Firehouse Bar, on the corner of Luard and Jaffe Roads. (a block closer to central from Lockhard Road). The filipina "Mama-san" is Maria. Definitely look her up if you go in. The two people running the DJ/Cashier Station are Hong Kongers - Stephen or his daughter Cat. Very nice people. Don't be afraid to say hi to them.

May be of interest, and you have probably hit there already, but my favorite live band place is Amazonia (corner of Lockhart and Jaffe). Great bands and atmosphere. Bouncers are very nice. Also, Delaney's Irish bar is across the street to watch sports and have a pint.

If you are there on a Sunday afternoon, I suggest the Wanch, a live band venue (historic, but a very small space) across down on Jaffe road from firehouse, on the opposite side of the street, towards Central. "Amry and Friends", a filipino band hosts an open mic session from 4-8pm. Very fun and welcoming as all levels of crooners try out their best rock/ballads.

B-man,

I am not sure what your definition of Go-Go is, but under mine they are certainly legal in Hong Kong.

As a hold over from the Vietnam War days, there are a baker's dozen of bars in Wanchai that employ Filipinas from Papangas or some other Filipino rural backwater on 6 month special visas. This is a specific immigration loop-hole. The girls work every night and stay together in communal housing.

While there is no nudity allowed in the bars officially, the girls all rotate to dance in bikinis on a raised platform, and when not dancing sit with customers at the bar, getting bought drinks, or sit on their laps and grind them in the booths (aka lap dance), or give the occasional BJ or HJ in the booths. The girls are available to take out of the bar at any time for the night, at a HKD 3000-4000 bar fine depending on the time of night.

Then again there are also the lock down parties, where they lock the doors, full nudity comes out and all hell breaks loose.

Do they provide strip shows, as in the USA, where they get fully naked to "Pour Some Sugar On Me" by Def Leaopard. They do not - but that to me is a strip club, not a go-go bar.

The bars in Hong Kong are to me analagous to Go-Go bars in Bangkok where also full nudity is not "officially" allowed. Wanchai is a very limited and far more expensive Nana Plaza.

Thus the term Go-Go bar.

Maybe it comes down to a difference in terminology.