• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 dingerbel

dingerbel

LB Lover

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 04:50 AM

I have lived in Bangkok now for 4 months, before this I have travelled here and played here for over 10yrs, i have never heard scare mongering like it! I walk between Asok/33/NEP many times at all hours and have never had a problem! I am not saying here that anyone is not telling the truth, you just must have been very unlucky. I have never seen gangs of ladyboys on sukhumvit, I have seen issues in NANA and outside but thats it. I have never been to Lumphini, but I have had evenings out with people down Victory Monument, Saphan Kwai, Phahonyothin and Ratchada and also never had a problem, one or two young Thais can give you some looks, but I have never been there without a thai with me so maybe thats why I feel its ok.

Anyway, All I am saying is that down Sukhumvit you should feel very safe and use your judgement as to who ever you take home, freelancer, bargirl or even office girl, ladyboy or GG, farang or Thai, they can all be bunny boilers!
  • bkkladyboy likes this

#22 Trenton42

Trenton42

Awesome LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 06:18 AM

Leave Soi Cowboy after 12:30 or so, and have a look between Asoke and Soi 11. The LB pickpockets were there last week, and I'm confident they'll be there this week.

I'll be at NEP on Wednesday if you need someone to show you.

#23 reissit

reissit

LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Interests:Barrow AFC,Football,beer,Travel and transexuals the world over.

Posted 17 November 2010 - 04:30 PM

I usually stay in soi 21 when in BKK. I have walked from the nana and surrounding areas along the odd numbered side of suk road many times on my own in the early hours. Sometimes extremely under the influence of alcohol and have never had any problems whatsoever. Maybe i have just been lucky or do not look like an easy target, but if this is going on i would have thought i would have noticed something.

#24 Trenton42

Trenton42

Awesome LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 03:07 AM

The flash-n-grab LB trio was out twice last week (that I saw) near the Asoke Skytrain station. They must be paying off the police as theyíve been reported numerous times (according to Stickmanís column).

The pickpocket gangs like to hang out in two areas; on soi corners (so they can run down the soi and disappear after scoring), and where the Sukhumwit sidewalk narrows (at SkyTrain entrances and/or bridges that cross the street).

The narrow sidewalk is a particular favorite of some evil doers as it funnels potential targets into striking distance as well as hiding them from the street. We avoided the flash-n-grab trio as they waited in the narrow sidewalk the first time by stepping into Sukhumwit to bypass the area. On the second spotting we used the Asoke Skytrain station to cross the street. We didnít see them Tuesday night, but used the SkyTrain station to cross the street anyway, just to steer clear of any trouble.

Itís interesting to note that lower Sukhumwit is a district boundary; the two sides of the lower Sukhumwit are policed by two different precincts, and they just donít have that problem on the south side.

Itís also important to point out that if anything does happen, donít bother going to the police box on the south side of Asoke as the odd side of Sukhumwit is in a different district and they wonít cross the street to help out.

Here are some useful telephone numbers:

Thai Police: 191 or 123

Tourist Police: 1155 or 678-6800

Surprisingly, local security guards are also a good resource should problems arise. Theyíre paid even less then the police, so a tip is a good way to thank them.

#25 reissit

reissit

LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Interests:Barrow AFC,Football,beer,Travel and transexuals the world over.

Posted 30 January 2011 - 12:51 PM

Walked from soi 7/1 to soi 21 twice last week in the early hours, stopped at a couple of street bars on the way and no problems at all.

Edited by reissit, 30 January 2011 - 12:52 PM.

#26 dav662

dav662

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:01 PM

I had an interesting experience a few years back. My flight was in the evening and the hotel would not let me stay after 2pm without charging me extra. So I had two hours to kill before I left for the airport. I decided to talk a walk on Sukhumvit just to waste the time.
As I was retuning to the hotel a car with tinted glass stopped alongside me and the windows came down. There were three girls(at least thats what I thought but could be girls or LBs but I think they were girls). The driver asked me if I spoke English and when I said yes, she told me to get into the car and she would give me a lift. It is very flattering when 3 young girls want to pick you up. LOL.

But it was too crazy that this would happen to me so I just said that I am going across to the hotel and it is a few minutes walk. Obviously due to the traffic they had to move on and when I crossed the lights, they were stuck in traffic and again they called me and offered to give me a ride.

I am still as puzzled as to the reason why they should offer to give me a lift and think it was an attempt to rob me or do worse.

#27 bkkladyboy

bkkladyboy

Ladyboy Lapdog

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • Interests:The Gospels According to Nana.

For me to remain interested it needs a good mix of soft and hard, with very few sharp edges.

Baby Metal

Posted 06 April 2011 - 10:20 AM

Ireland!

thanks for a good laugh. +1 . well said and to the point. nothing like well placed sarcasm.

I have lived in Bangkok now for 4 months, before this I have travelled here and played here for over 10yrs, i have never heard scare mongering like it! I walk between Asok/33/NEP many times at all hours and have never had a problem! I am not saying here that anyone is not telling the truth, you just must have been very unlucky. I have never seen gangs of ladyboys on sukhumvit, I have seen issues in NANA and outside but thats it. I have never been to Lumphini, but I have had evenings out with people down Victory Monument, Saphan Kwai, Phahonyothin and Ratchada and also never had a problem, one or two young Thais can give you some looks, but I have never been there without a thai with me so maybe thats why I feel its ok.

Anyway, All I am saying is that down Sukhumvit you should feel very safe and use your judgement as to who ever you take home, freelancer, bargirl or even office girl, ladyboy or GG, farang or Thai, they can all be bunny boilers!

+1 for the sensible comments and pointers.

i first came here in '88 and i have lived here since '92. IMHO as long as you are not stupid drunk and being an ass you should be ok in 99% of the places you will go in TH. unlike the States and parts of Europe that i have visited.

the only time i have seen altercations is when Farnags who are drunk or looking for sh*t to happen start something by either being a mark or being an ass. sure, there may be Thais out there lookng to scr*w with you, but what are you doing in that place at that time? if you find yourself in such a situation simply hail a cab and go to where you feel safe, do not stick around, continue down the street. i think a lot of these mishaps are occurring because punters are out late, drunk and looking for the deal of the century, FLs for cheap. you get what you pay for.

do not flash jewelry, cash or devices. dress casual and clean, but not ho-so. always be polite and swallow your tongue when you have to. if you see something occuring and you can walk by without leaving another in true physical distress, walk by, do not get involved.

i bet most BS in KHT and PTY is with tuk-tuk and song-tao (baht bus) operators. avoid most problems with them by attempting to negotiate before getting in, and if yo are not happy, simply walk away without expressing your distaste for them.

#28 Guest_Shibuya_*

Guest_Shibuya_*

Posted 21 April 2011 - 12:12 PM

It all depends *where* in Lumpini; the Night Market, area around the boxing arena, and quite a few bars/restaurants are okay, but the deep dark corners of Lumpini Park are quite a different matter...

Yes, sorry I should have clarified, I mean the park at night. Which is a scary place indeed. I remember reading on a forum somewhere, someone advising people to check out the park at night for streetwalkers going for 500 baht or less.

What great advice!

#29 Socrates999

Socrates999

LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 01:41 PM

Have heard that some of the Sois near Victory monument are dodgy.

My LB friend has been condo hunting for us in BKK recently and viewed one near here. Said it was very nice but she thought the side sois were dangerous.

If she's worried then I bloody well am lol

Only during Red Riots, otherwise it is a great area in which to live. Boatloads of restaurants, a Top, a Tesco Express, 5 7-11s and a Family Mart in 5 blocks, cheap massage, a huge, green park, 8 screen theater, BTS nearby, buses to everywhere, easy access to Panthip, Fortune, Siam Paragon, Central World and major highways. A few of our favorite girls live in the neighborhood.

Edited by Socrates999, 01 May 2011 - 01:52 PM.

#30 Trenton42

Trenton42

Awesome LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 04:38 AM

I've found some great places to live around Victory Monument, and think I would enjoy living there, but the monument itself posses a problem.

IMO, the Victory Monument area is usually no more dangerous than many other areas around Bangkok; however, anyone with a bone to pick with the Thai goverment can rally around the monument with little notice, often making life difficult. A demonstration at the monument can screw up Bangkok for miles!

And if the Red Shits should rally around the monument, IMO it is indeed dangerous. The Red Shits have proven just that again and again.

#31 P&G

P&G

Wicked LB Lover

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Interests:ฝรั่งโง่เพศสัมพันธ์กะเทย

Posted 03 May 2016 - 11:38 PM

I would avoid any area where tuk tuk drivers are agressive and offer deals that are too good to be true. This happens mainly in daytime in places whithout ladyboys. I think mainly of Ratchadamnoen Kland road.

Edit : as mentioned several times above, it's hard to define an area in Bangkok as unsafe. What's unsafe IMHO is to hang on drunk, what could attract hookers with a predator instinct.

Edited by P&G, 04 May 2016 - 05:48 PM.

• anchor likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users