Bangkok Ladyboys Forum
montblanc

ATM keyboard mini cams

Went into the MBK centre in BKK and was about to use an ATM when I noticed a cam pointed at the keyboard. It was a Siam Commerce one so went of to their branch on the 2nd floor and showed them the picture, they came and inspected it and a phone call later it was shut down straight away..

Went browsing on another floor and there was another Cam in another ATM. Advice is to use the ATMs outside the branchs in the centres and to cover up your keyboard entry.

In the pics you can see the normal secuity cam that is at your face but then a second cam pointed down at the keyboard, it is the small black square near the longer line. The pics are from low looking up. Looks like its meant to be there but it is a scamcam.

Be warned!

IMG_0005 640x480.JPG

IMG_0006 640x480.JPG

Edited by montblanc

Went into the MBK centre in BKK and was about to use an ATM when I noticed a cam pointed at the keyboard. It was a Siam Commerce one so went of to their branch on the 2nd floor and showed them the picture, they came and inspected it and a phone call later it was shut down straight away..

Went browsing on another floor and there was another Cam in another ATM. Advice is to use the ATMs outside the branchs in the centres and to cover up your keyboard entry.

In the pics you can see the normal secuity cam that is at your face but then a second cam pointed down at the keyboard, it is the small black square near the longer line. The pics are from low looking up. Looks like its meant to be there but it is a scamcam.

Be warned!

so you are saying that it is confirmed that these square cameras were installed by scammers or the bank was just be cautious?

another problem with keyboards is the key stroke logging software in some of BKK's internet cafes. i know the shop across form the Dynasty on Soi 4 was busted for that a few years back. i have to believe there are other places as well. so simply erasing your history and the cache in a public place may not keep you safe. better to not do nay banking etc on a public machine in TH.

Edited by bkkladyboy

so you are saying that it is confirmed that these square cameras were installed by scammers or the bank was just be cautious?

another problem with keyboards is the key stroke logging software in some of BKK's internet cafes. i know the shop across form the Dynasty on Soi 4 was busted for that a few years back. i have to believe there are other places as well. so simply erasing your history and the cache in a public place may not keep you safe. better to not do nay banking etc on a public machine in TH.

The bank guy said that it is a false cover put on by the scammers at night. No bank has a cam pointing at the keyboard. They are easy to spot once you are aware, I noticed 2 but was not intent on doing a security sweep.

Nice pics. Eastern Europeans, mainly Romanians are experts at this...it takes them less then a minute to install. Data is transmitted almost instantly via bluetooth. Check for a shady character nearby with a laptop.

Excellent catch on the ATMs!

I'd like to second bkkladyboy's excellent comment on keyloggers - they are a major worry. Also, if you're using your own laptop you're not secure if you're on an open wireless connection. Make sure it's one where you have to enter a passcode when you first connect to the network, not on a web page after you've connected (like most hotels use, unfortunately). It's always been possible to monitor traffic on an open connection, but new software now makes it really, really easy. Anything with HTTPS is secure, but that doesn't include your Facebook, webmail, etc. I always ask if they have a secure connection, not that I expect that they do, but to drop the hint that customers are requesting it. When I have something sensitive that has to be done, I try to plug in at an Internet Cafe.

I used to think I was paranoid, 'till I realized they really were after me.

I've been using the tactic of covering up PIN entries for at least a couple of years here in the states ever since I first heard of it occuring here.

It was started with stand-alone ATM's outside of grocery stores and the like. Still even do it in bank lobbies on their own machines just to stay in the habit.

Excellent catch on the ATMs!

I'd like to second bkkladyboy's excellent comment on keyloggers - they are a major worry. Also, if you're using your own laptop you're not secure if you're on an open wireless connection. Make sure it's one where you have to enter a passcode when you first connect to the network, not on a web page after you've connected (like most hotels use, unfortunately). It's always been possible to monitor traffic on an open connection, but new software now makes it really, really easy. Anything with HTTPS is secure, but that doesn't include your Facebook, webmail, etc. I always ask if they have a secure connection, not that I expect that they do, but to drop the hint that customers are requesting it. When I have something sensitive that has to be done, I try to plug in at an Internet Cafe.

I used to think I was paranoid, 'till I realized they really were after me.

You can change FB to https if you go to your settings